Madison Hartman advises healthcare industry clients on a wide variety of regulatory and litigation matters, including telehealth and telepharmacy, federal and state statutory and regulatory compliance related to fraud, waste, and abuse, and Medicaid. Her extensive experience with Medicaid enables her to effectively advise clients on state and federal statutory and regulatory requirements for Medicaid providers. Madison also utilizes her past experience to assist clients in navigating legal restrictions and requirements related to telehealth, including recent changes to Indiana’s telehealth laws.
Prior to joining Quarles & Brady, Madison worked as a Staff Attorney at the Office of General Counsel for the Indiana Family & Social Services Administration. At the Office of General Counsel, Madison represented the Office of Medicaid Policy & Planning (OMPP) in administrative appeals regarding a wide range of provider and programmatic issues.
In her role, Madison also advised the OMPP on various legal and policy issues, including managed care, fraud & abuse, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), substance use disorder treatment and opioid prescribing, pharmacy audits and overpayments, and waivers of federal and state regulations during the ongoing COVID-19 public health emergency. She also researched and advised the OMPP on amendments to the Medicaid policy manual to clarify eligibility requirements for Medicaid members in order to reduce the frequency of member appeals, saving valuable agency time and resources. Additionally, Madison assisted the OMPP with drafting and promulgating various administrative regulations, including regulations for a newly established Healthy Indiana Plan program. Finally, she worked in collaboration with the OMPP’s pharmacy benefit manager to draft a state process related to drug rebate dispute resolution.
Madison's other relevant experience includes:
- Representation in administrative appeals related to:
- Medicaid provider payment suspension
- Medicaid provider auditing and overpayment, including overpayment issues for pharmacy providers
- Medicaid program provider enrollment
- Nursing facility rate-setting
- Nursing facility Minimum Data Set (MDS) audits
- Reviewed and advised on all 2021 telehealth legislation in Indiana
- Researched and advised the Medicaid program on managed care contracts
- Assisted the Office of Attorney General with ongoing litigation for agency decisions
- Reviewed and advised the Medicaid program pharmacy team on a data use agreement related to the sharing of confidential drug rebate information
- Health & Life Sciences
Education and Honors
- Indiana University – Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., 2019)
- Graduate Certificate in Health Law
- DePauw University (B.A., 2016)
- Major: Political Science
- Honor Scholar Program
Professional and Civic Activities
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Healthcare & Life Sciences Section, chair-elect