Mark Ehrmann stands out among Madison-area corporate services attorneys, possessing an unusual depth and breadth of transactional experience from both the M&A and finance sides of his practice. He has worked on numerous IPOs and private equity transactions, across a variety of industries, to a greater degree than many of his local peers. As a member of the Corporate Venturing Team, Mark works with both emerging companies and investors, offering experience on both sides of the transactional equation rather than just one or the other. He is an effective outside counsel because so many of his clients have very small in-house legal staffs, and Mark is adept at functioning as though he is inside counsel. Perhaps because of this differentiated understanding of his area of law, Mark was named as the Best Lawyers 2014 and 2018 Mergers & Acquisitions “Lawyer of the Year” in Madison.
A corporate services attorney with 20-plus years of legal experience, Mark has concentrated on representing companies and their owners and investors in domestic and international stock and asset acquisitions and divestitures, mergers, and other corporate reorganizations and public and private financings. In addition, Mark has worked with a number of startup and emerging companies and their investors by assisting them with forming their companies, completing agreements among founders and employees, protecting intellectual property, and securing angel and venture capital financing. Mark is also an active speaker and presenter on business topics.
A second-generation Quarles partner, following in his father’s footsteps, Mark loves the wide variety of issues that his profession places before him from day to day. One of the reasons he is one of the most widely experienced corporate services attorneys in Madison is because he has a voracious appetite for all the demands of his job — while Mark has always been a team player, he likes to have a personal hand in every aspect of each transaction and actively works to break down information “silos” when he encounters them.
- Business Law
- Research Institutions
- Technology Transfer
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Higher Education
- Autonomous & Connected Vehicles
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1985)
- Wisconsin International Law Journal (Writer, 1983-1984; Note and Comment Editor, 1984-1985)
- University of Wisconsin (B.S., with honors, 1982)
- Degree: Economics
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Dane County Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member, Business Law and Health Law Sections)
- Forward Wisconsin, Inc. (Chairman of Board of Directors and Treasurer)
- Wisconsin Technology Council (Member of Board of Directors and Executive Committee)
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (Member)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2014, 2018, 2021 Madison Mergers and Acquisitions Law "Lawyer of the Year"
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2007-present: Corporate Law / Mergers & Acquisitions Law / Venture Capital Law)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2005-2009: Corporate/M&A)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated