Nneka Umeh practices in the area of immigration law and has both in-house and outside counsel experience. Nneka leverages her in-house experience to provide practical and business savvy advice to clients. For example, she has analyzed global immigration processes to draft in-house policies and processes that incorporate the changing immigration landscape, while meeting internal business needs and budgets. She has consulted with C-suite executives on complex, emergency matters to provide timely internal solutions. Nneka has guided the vendor selection process in-house while managing and monitoring vendor service levels with a collaborative approach.
As outside counsel, Nneka's focus is on developing and maintaining comprehensive immigration programs for employers and employees, including the full range of temporary (B, E, H, L, O, and TN) and permanent visas (EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3, including Outstanding Research, Extraordinary Ability, and Multinational Manager). She advises employees on naturalization/citizenship applications; and counsels organizations on developing, maintaining, and defending immigration compliance (including I-9 and E-Verify) through corporate restructuring for employee populations across a broad spectrum of industries, including professionals in fashion, sports, music, medicine, academia, journalism, finance, food/beverage, and manufacturing.
Nneka is highly engaged in the community, serving as the Quarles & Brady Women's Forum Chicago Office Chair and African American Business Resource Group National Chair. Through her engagements with the community, Nneka is able to maintain an impressive network of professional contacts and maintain expertise in her practice area that is timely and practical in the changing immigration landscape.
Education and Honors
- University of Texas School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- Thurgood Marshall Legal Society, member
- Student Bar Association, member
- Yale University (B.S., 2004)
- Degree: Chemistry
- Texas (Inactive)
Professional and Civic Activities
- African American Business Resource Group, national chair
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, member
- Quarles & Brady Chicago Women's Forum, chair
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Chicago Chapter
- ICE Workplace Enforcement Committee, member
- “40 Under 40” Class of 2021 by Chicago Daily Law Bulletin