Peter Spier is a partner in the firm's Business Law Group. He concentrates his practice in the representation of privately-held companies, private equity funds and venture capital investors in structuring and negotiating mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financing and complex contractual transactions. He advises clients on a wide range of day-to-day operational, compliance and strategic issues, including serving as outside general counsel for many of his clients.
Mr. Spier regularly represents clients in negotiating and structuring mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity capital raises, distribution agreements, supply contracts, services agreements, consulting agreements, licensing deals and myriad other contractual arrangements. Mr. Spier is often engaged by owners that are considering exiting their multi-generational family businesses. He has extensive experience guiding such owners through a sale process that can seem intimidating and overwhelming at times and helping them achieve their business and financial objectives.
Mr. Spier represents private equity firms and venture capital investors in fund formation, debt and equity investments and private offerings, as well as in the day-to-day business and legal issues that arise in operating their portfolio companies and in their eventual divestitures thereof. He serves as outside general counsel for a number of middle-market and emerging growth companies. He helps them from soup to nuts - from addressing formation issues and preparing governing documents to resolving complex shareholder disputes and structuring and negotiating joint ventures, strategic acquisitions and exits. He is sought out for his acumen as a highly responsive advisor with a deep and broad knowledge of the law and how it impacts his clients' businesses.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented registered investment advisor in $73 Million asset sale to strategic buyer.
- Represented large family office in $87 Million stock acquisition of leading manufacturer of open deck and material hauling trailers.
- Represented leading provider of data to sports betting industry in $26.5 Million stock sale to one of world's largest gaming companies.
- Represented transportation company in $24 Million stock acquisition of designer and manufacturer of fiberglass insulated truck bodies and associated refrigeration equipment for the transport and delivery of perishable products.
- Represented leading gaming parts manufacturer in completion of private investment in public equity (PIPE) transaction.
- Represented leading global manufacturer of industrial food processing equipment in stock acquisitions of French manufacturer and supplier of mechanical separation equipment and Dutch food processing equipment manufacturer.
- Represented global gaming equipment manufacturer in sale of LCD monitor division to Taiwanese company.
- Represented privately-held manufacturer of air accessories and equipment for both the professional and do-it-yourself markets in $44 Million stock sale to international private equity fund.
Private Equity/Venture Capital
- Represented venture capital fund in sale of large minority interest in hospitality start-up to Fortune 500 hospitality company through reverse triangular merger, generating a 5X return for the fund's limited partners.
- Represented private equity firm in $50 Million sale of manufacturer and designer of medical devices that adhere to the human body.
- Represented NYC-based venture capital firm in series of investments across the globe, including negotiation of investment terms and documents, fund structuring and formation, and preparation of PPMs and other offering materials.
- Represented German private equity firm in acquisition of world leader in digital textile printing.
- Represented private equity firm in $15 Million asset sale of leading regional sensory branding firm to strategic buyer.
- Represented private equity firm in convertible debt secured financing of leading provider of real-time remote security monitoring services.
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Sports, Entertainment and Media Industry
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (J.D.)
- Dean's List
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., cum laude)
- Major: Economics
Professional and Civic Activities
- Association for Corporate Growth - Chicago Chapter (ACG)
- Executive Committee serving as Vice-Chairman in Charge of Membership, 2020-present
- Board of Directors, 2015-present
- Private Equity Committee, 2012-present
- Capital Connections Committee, 2017-present
- American Bar Association
- Mergers & Acquisitions Committee, 2009-present
- Market Trends Subcommittee, 2009-present
- International Association of Gaming Advisors, 2010-present
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chair of the Business Transactions Committee, 2020-present
- Member, 2002-present
- Jewish Council for Youth Services (JCYS) - Board of Directors and Executive Committee, 2003-2006
- Named an "Illinois Leading Lawyer" by Law Bulletin Media in the practice areas of Mergers & Acquisitions, Closely & Privately Held Business Law, Gaming & Casino Law and Securities & Venture Finance Law, 2017–2022
- "Excellence in Private Equity Legal Services" by Corporate LiveWire, 2018
- Illinois Super Lawyers, "Rising Star, " Gaming Law, Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions, 2012, 2013