Peter Spier is a partner in the firm's Business Law Group. He concentrates his practice in the representation of private equity funds, venture capital investors and privately-held companies in structuring and negotiating mergers & acquisitions, debt and equity financing transactions and myriad contractual arrangements. Mr. Spier has substantial experience representing clients in the gaming industry, as well as in the burgeoning esports and U.S. sports betting markets. He advises his clients on a wide range of day-to-day operational, compliance and strategic issues, including serving as outside general counsel for many of them.
Private Equity/Venture Capital Funds
Mr. Spier represents private equity and venture capital funds in fund formation, debt and equity investments and private offerings, as well as in the day-to-day business and legal issues that arise in operating their portfolio companies and in their divestitures thereof.
Mr. Spier represents companies in the gaming industry, as well as in emerging sports law verticals such as sports betting, daily fantasy sports and esports. He serves as outside general counsel to middle-market and emerging-growth companies in these industries, including advising them on equity and debt capital raising, employee compensation plans, shareholder disputes and tax-efficient structuring, among myriad additional matters. Mr. Spier helps guide these clients through the rapidly-changing regulatory landscapes in these industries and counsels them regarding positioning themselves effectively for an eventual exit transaction.
Mr. Spier is a frequent speaker and author on issues affecting the gaming and sports industries. For further details, see below under "Publications/Presentations/Webinars."
Gaming and Sports Law
- Represented leading provider of data to sports betting industry in $26.5 Million stock sale to one of world's largest gaming companies.
- Represented leading gaming parts manufacturer in completion of private investment in public equity (PIPE) transaction.
- Represented global gaming equipment manufacturer in sale of LCD monitor division to Taiwanese company.
- Represented Native American Tribe in negotiation of joint venture for bidding on casino license.
- Represented Fortune 1000 gaming company in creation of loyalty program related to its lottery offerings.
- Represented world famous athlete in negotiation and acquisition of six different residential properties around the world, including construction of primary residence on one of the sites.
- Represents manufacturers, distributors and operators under the Illinois Video Gaming Act in licensing and contractual negotiations. Has negotiated terms of and closed nearly two dozen M&A transactions involving terminal operators under the Act.
- Represented world famous athlete in negotiating resolution of dispute with casino, including keeping the matter from being leaked to outside sources.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented registered investment advisor in $73 Million asset sale to strategic buyer.
- Represented large family office in $87 Million stock acquisition of leading manufacturer of open deck and material hauling trailers.
- Represented transportation company in $24 Million stock acquisition of designer and manufacturer of fiberglass insulated truck bodies and associated refrigeration equipment for the transport and delivery of perishable products.
- Represented leading global manufacturer of industrial food processing equipment in stock acquisitions of French manufacturer and supplier of mechanical separation equipment and Dutch food processing equipment manufacturer.
- Represented privately-held manufacturer of air accessories and equipment for both the professional and do-it-yourself markets in $44 Million stock sale to international private equity fund.
Private Equity/Venture Capital
- Represented venture capital fund in sale of large minority interest in hospitality start-up to Fortune 500 hospitality company through reverse triangular merger, generating a 5X return for the fund's limited partners.
- Represented private equity firm in $50 Million sale of manufacturer and designer of medical devices that adhere to the human body.
- Represented NYC-based venture capital firm in series of investments across the globe, including negotiation of investment terms and documents, fund structuring and formation, and preparation of PPMs and other offering materials.
- Represented German private equity firm in acquisition of world leader in digital textile printing.
- Represented private equity firm in $15 Million asset sale of leading regional sensory branding firm to strategic buyer.
- Represented private equity firm in convertible debt secured financing of leading provider of real-time remote security monitoring services.
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University (J.D.)
- Dean's List
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., cum laude)
- Major: Economics
Professional and Civic Activities
- Association for Corporate Growth - Chicago Chapter (ACG)
- Board of Directors (2015-Present)
- Private Equity Committee (2012-Present)
- Capital Connections Committee (2017-Present)
- International Association of Gaming Advisors (2010-Present)
- Esports Bar Association (2019-Present)
- American Bar Association
- Mergers & Acquisitions Committee (2009-Present)
- Market Trends Subcommittee (2009-Present)
- Gaming Law Committee (2009-Present)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Gaming Law Committee (2011-Present)
- Selected as "Illinois Leading Lawyer" by Leading Lawyers Network in Gaming & Casino Law, Securities & Venture Finance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Closely & Privately Held Business Law (2017 through 2019).
- Named 2016 Illinois Gaming Attorney of the Year by Corporate LiveWire.
- One of only three (3) U.S. attorneys to receive the "Excellence in Gaming" designation by Corporate LiveWire (2016).
- Selected as a "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers in Gaming Law, Corporate Lawand Mergers & Acquisitions (2012 and 2013).