Peter Spier is a partner in the firm's Business Law Group. Peter concentrates his practice in the areas of private equity funds, venture capital investors and privately-held companies in structuring and negotiating mergers & acquisitions, debt and equity financing transactions and myriad contractual arrangements. He also advises clients on a wide range of day-to-day operational, compliance and strategic issues, including serving as outside general counsel for many of his clients. In addition to his corporate practice, Peter represents clients in the gaming and cryptocurrency/blockchain industries.
Private Equity/Venture Capital
Peter represents private equity and venture capital investors and hedge funds in fund formation, debt and equity investments, private offerings, day-to-day business and legal issues in operating portfolio companies and divestitures.
Outside General Counsel for Small to Mid-Sized Companies
Peter serves as outside general counsel for a number of established middle-market companies and emerging growth companies.He views his role as one of being a key business advisor for his clients with a deep and broad knowledge of the law and how it impacts his clients.
Peter represents companies in the gaming industry, as well as related areas such as daily fantasy sports and e-sports. He is a frequent speaker and author on issues affecting the gaming industry. Peter represents gaming clients in regulatory and licensing matters, debt and equity financing transactions and mergers & acquisitions, and regularly advises said clients on the rapidly changing legal landscape facing the industry.
Peter’s cryptocurrency/blockchain practice involves representing clients in the formation and structuring of cryptocurrency hedge funds and the preparation of PPMs and other offering documents. He also represents clients in the generation of new blockchain tokens, including preparation of the “white paper” for the new token and advising clients on the myriad issues involved in the process.
- Represented leading global manufacturer of industrial food processing equipment in stock acquisitions of French manufacturer and supplier of mechanical separation equipment and Dutch food processing equipment manufacturer.
- Represented Chicago-based real estate investment firm in preparation of offering materials for investment in Belgian real estate development.
- Represented privately held manufacturer of air accessories and equipment for both the professional and do-it-yourself markets in stock sale to international private equity fund.
- Represented finance company in connection with equity and debt capital raising for its micro-consumer finance program serving members of the Mexican National Teachers’ Union and other local unions in Mexico.
- Represented NYC-based venture capital firm in series of investments across the globe, including negotiation of investment terms and documents, fund structuring and formation, and preparation of private placement memorandum and other offering materials.
- Served as lead U.S. counsel for German private equity firm in acquisition of world leader in digital textile printing.
- Represented private equity firm in convertible debt secured financing of leading provider of real-time remote security monitoring services.
- Represented private equity firm in add-on acquisition of manufacturer and designer of medical devices that adhere to the human body.
- Represented several large commercial banking clients in series of senior debt financing transactions involving gaming industry companies.
- Represented global gaming equipment manufacturer in sale of LCD monitor division to Taiwanese company.
- Represented leading gaming equipment manufacturer in completion of private investment in public equity (PIPE) transaction.
- Represented video gaming operators under the Illinois Video Gaming Act in negotiating terms of and closing nearly two dozen acquisitions or dispositions of assets, including video gaming location contracts with bars, fraternal organizations and truck stops, and video gaming and amusement equipment.
- Represented owner/operator of skilled nursing home facilities in obtaining $140 million credit facility secured by mortgages on real estate underlying 28 facilities across the country.
- Represented world-renowned university in purchase of architecturally significant buildings near campus to serve as site of $200 million academic center.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in sale of industrial properties in Illinois, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Michigan and other locations across the country.
- Represented executive search firm in negotiating its office leases across the country.
- Represented several wealthy individuals in negotiating terms for use of their private residences in filming scenes for major motion pictures and network television shows.
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University (J.D.)
- Dean's List
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., cum laude)
- Major: Economics
Professional and Civic Activities
- Association for Corporate Growth (ACG)
- Board of Directors (2015-Present)
- PE/M&A Committee
- Manufacturing Conference Committee
- M&A/Finance Conference Committee
- International Association of Gaming Advisors (IAGA)
- American Bar Association
- Mergers & Acquisitions Committee
- Market Trends Subcommittee
- Gaming Law Committee
- Chicago Bar Association, Gaming Law Committee
- Jewish Council for Youth Services (JCYS) - former member of Board of Directors and Executive Committee
- Selected as "Illinois Leading Lawyer" by Leading Lawyers Network in Securities & Venture Finance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions, Gaming & Casino Law, and Closely & Privately Held Business Law (2017 and 2018).
- Recognized for "Excellence in Private Equity Legal Services" by Corporate LiveWire (2018).
- Selected as "Rising Star" by Illinois Super Lawyers in Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions and Gaming Law (2012 and 2013).