Walt Skipper practices business law and helps complete business transactions and resolve business disputes for businesses of all sizes. He has experience in numerous business matters from formation, financing, securities issuances, and expansion of a business, through acquisition or merger, sale of business, going public, spinoffs, recapitalizations and reorganizations, and going private. Walt also assists with corporate governance and compliance planning. His recent experience includes:
- Representing numerous public and private corporations in daily affairs and compliance with wide range of legal requirements and strategic events.
- Representing a newly formed company simultaneously purchasing companies across the globe in a rollup through the issuance of stock, cash, and notes. Assisted with later expansion and strategic alternatives, including a number of financings, and acquisitions and the sale of a control stake.
- Counseling and closing business acquisitions and divestitures.
- Representing issuers and underwriters issuing billions of dollars in securities.
- Representing parties in SEC and state enforcement investigations and arbitration disputes.
- Representing board and addressing corporate governance matters.
- Assisting clients in resolving litigation claims and business disputes.
- Representing oppressed minority shareholders and effecting squeeze-out transactions for majority shareholders.
- Representing business in succession planning and strategic alternatives.
- Representing defrauded shareholders and investors in recovering lost investment from responsible parties.
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- International Services
- Health & Life Sciences
- Autonomous & Connected Vehicles
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1990)
- Order of the Coif
- Wisconsin Law Review
- Marquette University (B.S., magna cum laude, 1985)
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Beta Gamma Sigma
Professional and Civic Activities
- Milwaukee Institute, Inc. (Director, Secretary, and Treasurer, 2007–present)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Seminar for Securities Law Practitioner (Chairman, 2006)
- Corporate Practice (Committee Member, 2002–present); Industry Consolidation and Rollups (2002–present); Venture Capital and Private Equity (2002–present)
- Wisconsin State Bar Securities Law Committee (2002–present)
- Review of Chapter 180 (Chairman, State Bar Business Law Section Committee, 2004–2006)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Secretary and Treasurer, Business Law Section, 2002–2004)
- Wisconsin State Bar (Director, Business Law Section, 1999–2002, 2013-present)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants (Member)
- Wisconsin State Bar Convention (Chairman, Business Section; Co-chair, Seminar on "Planning for Business Growth and Succession")
- Business Law Training (Coordinator, 1999–2004)
- State Bar of Maryland and Wisconsin (Member)
- Corporate Services Group Associate Training Program (Member)
- Certified Public Accountant and Certified Management Accountant
- Mason Wells Buyout Fund I, LP and Mason Wells Biomedical Fund I, LP (Member of Advisory Board)
- Marquette University High School (Finance Committee, 2012–present)
- Marquette University Law School (Instructor)
- University of Iowa Law School (Instructor)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2013–present: Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions)
- Named "2011 Leader in the Law" by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2008–present: Corporate Law)
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005–present Wisconsin Super Lawyers
® lists (Mergers & Acquisitions)
- Listed in Who's Who In America
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated