Walt Skipper practices business law and helps resolve business disputes for businesses of all sizes. He has experience in numerous business matters from formation, financing, securities issuances, and expansion of a business, through acquisition or merger, sale of business, going public, spinoffs, recapitalizations and reorganizations, and going private. Walt also assists with corporate governance and compliance planning. His recent experience includes:
- Representing numerous public and private corporations in daily affairs and compliance with wide range of legal requirements and strategic events.
- Representing a newly formed company simultaneously purchasing companies across the globe in a rollup through the issuance of stock, cash, and notes. Assisted with later expansion and strategic alternatives, including a number of financings, and acquisitions and the sale of a control stake.
- Counseling and closing business acquisitions and divestitures.
- Representing issuers and underwriters issuing billions of dollars in securities.
- Representing parties in SEC and state enforcement investigations.
- Representing board and addressing corporate governance matters.
- Assisting clients in resolving litigation claims and business disputes.
- Representing oppressed minority shareholders and effecting squeeze-out transactions for majority shareholders.
- Representing business in succession planning and strategic alternatives.
- Representing defrauded shareholders and investors in recovering lost investment from responsible parties.
- Business Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- International Services
- Health & Life Sciences
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 1990)
- Order of the Coif
- Wisconsin Law Review
- Marquette University (B.S., magna cum laude, 1985)
- Alpha Sigma Nu
- Beta Gamma Sigma
Professional and Civic Activities
- Milwaukee Institute, Inc. (Director, Secretary, and Treasurer, 2007–present)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Seminar for Securities Law Practitioner (Chairman, 2006)
- Corporate Practice (Committee Member, 2002–present); Industry Consolidation and Rollups (2002–present); Venture Capital and Private Equity (2002–present)
- Wisconsin State Bar Securities Law Committee (2002–present)
- Review of Chapter 180 (Chairman, State Bar Business Law Section Committee, 2004–2006)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Secretary and Treasurer, Business Law Section, 2002–2004)
- Wisconsin State Bar (Director, Business Law Section, 1999–2002, 2013)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants (Member)
- Wisconsin State Bar Convention (Chairman, Business Section; Co-chair, Seminar on "Planning for Business Growth and Succession")
- Business Law Training (Coordinator, 1999–2004)
- State Bar of Maryland and Wisconsin (Member)
- Corporate Services Group Associate Training Program (Member)
- Certified Public Accountant and Certified Management Accountant
- Mason Wells Buyout Fund I, LP and Mason Wells Biomedical Fund I, LP (Member of Advisory Board)
- Marquette University High School (Finance Committee, 2012–present)
- Named "2011 Leader in the Law" by the Wisconsin Law Journal
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2008–present: Corporate Law)
- Listed in Who's Who In America
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Selected for inclusion in the 2005–present Wisconsin Super Lawyers® lists (Mergers & Acquisitions)
- Listed in Chambers USA® (2013–present: Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions)