Zac Foster is a member of Quarles & Brady’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice and co-chair of the Class Action Defense Group. He specializes in complex commercial litigation and litigates disputes for a variety of clients spanning the banking, franchise, network marketing, medical benefits, and retail sales industries.
Zac has defended a number of clients against nationwide class action claims arising from various state and federal statutes. He also represents franchisors in contract disputes, enforcement of non-competition agreements and restrictive covenants, actions to protect intellectual property and confidential information, and various other business torts. Zac has experience defending clients against various state and federal consumer protection claims, including claims arising under the Fair Debt Collection Practices, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Truth in Lending Act, the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act, and Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act. Zac leverages this experience to help his clients craft policies and best practices aimed at minimizing litigation risk.
Zac’s more significant recent experiences include:
- Defeating a motion for class certification in a proposed consumer class action alleging violations of state and federal debt collection statutes against a mortgage servicer.
- Obtaining the withdrawal of nationwide class allegations in proposed nationwide TCPA class against a national mail-order catalog company.
- Obtaining judgment following trial on behalf of a franchisor for tortious interference and trade secret misappropriation claims brought against a third-party that misappropriated a franchise location.
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction on behalf of a franchisor enjoining a former franchisee from operating a competitive business.
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of a national bank against a borrower claiming RESPA and FCCPA violations related to a loan modification.
Education and Honors
- University of Florida Levin College of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2014)
- Executive Forum Editor - Florida Law Review
- Order of the Coif
- Florida Blue Key
- Chairman - Honor Code Committee
- University of Florida (B.A., cum laude, 2010)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Phi Gamma Delta, chapter advisor
- Emerging Leaders of Tampa Bay, membership committee
- The Tampa Connection: Alumni Committee, member
- Tampa Theatre: WineFest Committee, member
- The Best Lawyers in America® "Ones to Watch," Commercial Litigation, 2021, 2022, 2023
- Florida Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars, Business Litigation, 2017-present
- Selected for The Tampa Connection, Class of 2017-2018