Counsel that helps you navigate environmental laws and regulations effectively and efficiently
Capabilities at a glance
- A national, full-service law firm with offices around the country and direct experience with a wide range of different state regulations and enforcement policies.
- Broad range of legal services around environmental and natural resource regulation, from timely advice on day-to-day issues to big-picture strategic counseling.
- We represent clients in a variety of industries, including chemical, energy, food and beverage, mining, pharmaceutical, pulp and paper, printing, packaging and steel.
- Decades of experience working with clients on matters related to the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, the management and disposal of waste materials, and the registration and distribution of chemicals and pesticides.
Working in partnership with clients on environmental regulatory issues
The Quarles Environmental & Natural Resources Practice Group understands just how vital environmental regulatory knowledge, experience and contacts are to the successful operation and compliance of so many businesses. We also know from our experience as a national, full-service law firm that environmental regulations differ in every state, and federal and state implementation of those regulations can vary throughout the country. That’s why we offer comprehensive, responsive legal support built on excellent communication and partnership with our clients. From issue-specific analyses to the design and implementation of comprehensive environmental, health and safety (EH&S) management systems, we draw on the knowledge of experienced attorneys from across our firm and the client’s expertise to help find solutions that are consistent with your risk management and compliance goals, as well as regulatory trends and company culture.
Strong relationships with environmental regulatory agencies
Our experienced environmental attorneys understand the maze of regulations, compliance obligations and enforcement operations that must be navigated in protection of natural resources, and how to conduct dialogue and negotiations that create satisfactory outcomes for your business. We regularly obtain positive results with state and federal regulators and enforcement personnel, utilizing strategies ranging from white papers, self-disclosures and settlement negotiations to thoughtful, strategic and effective representation in permitting matters and administrative and judicial enforcement proceedings. In those circumstances requiring the defense of an action brought for enforcement purposes—whether administrative or judicial—our experienced practitioners are prepared to defend your interests vigorously, all with the intent of achieving compliance with lawful requirements while minimizing exposure to fines and penalties.
- Air permitting, including new source review and prevention of significant deterioration permits and review of environmental justice concerns.
- Wastewater and stormwater discharge permitting, including national pollutant discharge elimination system (NPDES) permits.
- Response to state and federal information requests.
- Review, comment and judicial review of state and federal regulations.
- Regulatory compliance counselling.
- Preparation for and response to facility inspections.
- Assisted a large Midwestern utility in permitting the major modification of two coal-fired generating units subject to the prevention of significant deterioration (PSD) and nonattainment new source review (NNSR) programs. This permitting action included the generation of emission offsets for fine particulate matter and the establishment of greenhouse gas best available control technology (BACT) limitations.
- Counseled an international beverage company in responding to an information request issued pursuant to Section 114 of the Clean Air Act that included large scale emission testing of the facility.
News & Insights