Mike Piery is an intellectual property litigator with a focus on patent litigation. His litigation experience consists of a full range of services, from pre-filing investigations through appeal, including conducting pre-suit due diligence investigations; developing case strategies; managing discovery; taking and defending depositions; drafting pleadings, motions, and pre-trial briefings; arguing evidentiary motions, claim construction, and dispositive motions; and drafting appeal briefs. He has litigated cases in many federal district courts, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Mike’s litigation experience covers a variety of technologies, including mechanical devices, medical devices, optical imaging equipment, telecommunications, software, snowplows, and product packaging.
Prior to joining Quarles & Brady, Mike applied his chemical engineering background and served as a patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for over five years. As a patent examiner, he reviewed applications across various technologies, including polymers, semiconductors, medical devices, fuel cells, chemical compositions, and plastics processing.
Drawing on his experience as a patent examiner, Mike also counsels clients in intellectual property acquisition strategies, including design protection. His knowledge of both the process for acquiring patent rights and issues that may arise in litigation allow him to guide clients to optimal solutions that align with and advance their business objectives.
- Representation of a meat products company in design patent litigation in federal court.
- Representation of German genetic testing company in federal court jury trial and Federal Circuit appeal.
- Representation of water-treatment company in multiple Federal Circuit appeals relating to pump technology.
- Representation of water treatment company in federal court patent litigation and related inter partes review proceedings.
- Representation of digital scanner company in federal court patent and Lanham Act litigation and related inter partes review proceedings.
- Representation of telecommunications company in patent litigation against its primary competitor, including two-week jury trial.
- Representation of plow and truck manufacturer in federal court patent litigation.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Litigation
- Design Patents
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Trademark Litigation
Education and Honors
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., 2013)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association Quarterly Journal (Staff Member)
- University of Notre Dame (B.S., 2007)
- Major: Chemical Engineering
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2016
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2014
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2014
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2013
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association (Member)
- Milwaukee Young Lawyers Association (Member)