Public finance bond counsel with gold-star client service
Allison Buchanan is a public finance lawyer who leads the Quarles school district and technical college public finance team, working with school districts, technical colleges and other municipal entities on all public finance matters. Allison has served as bond counsel to over 300 Wisconsin school districts on more than 2,300 financings totaling in excess of $16.8 billion.
Allison guides school boards and technical college boards, administration and other public officials through:
- Capital and operational referenda
- Bond financings for capital projects
- Short-term cash flow borrowings
Clients find Allison to be approachable and easy to work with, committed to understanding their unique needs and addressing them. They appreciate her step-by-step guidance on how to conduct referenda, the bond authorization process and post issuance compliance matters for both short and long-term financings.
Experience in Action
- Serving as bond counsel for school districts and technical colleges on all of their bond financing needs, including numerous financings for capital projects, refinancings, escrow defeasance transactions and short-term cash flow borrowings.
- Working with school districts and technical colleges on bond and revenue limit referenda, with bond referenda ranging in size from $500,000 to in excess of $300 million.
- Advising on school district referendum and bond financing enabling legislation.
- Frequently presenting on referendum and other bond counsel topics at school business official, administrator and school board conferences.
- Counseling clients on post issuance compliance tax and securities law matters.
- Providing assistance related to public records and open meetings laws.
- Working with clients on 501(c)(3) bond financings.
- Milwaukee Business Journal, Forty Under Forty (2020)
Professional & Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- National Association of Bond Lawyers (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Women in Public Finance Wisconsin Chapter
- Marquette Legal Clinic Pro Bono Volunteer Lawyer (2010–present)
- Life Navigators (Member, Friends of Life Navigators Young Professionals Group, 2011–present)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of St. Joseph County, Inc. (Board of Directors, 2007, 2008)
- Chamber of Commerce of St. Joseph County, Indiana (Member, Young Professionals Network Advisory Council, 2006–2008)
News & Insights
- News Release
- Presentation"Cash Flow and Short-Term Borrowing"2018 New School Administrators Conference
- News Release
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2006)
- The Wisconsin International Law Journal (Note and Comment Editor, 2005, 2006)
- Served as a judicial intern for Honorable Judge Moria Krueger of the Dane County Circuit Court
- University of Notre Dame (B.B.A., magna cum laude, 2003)
- Indiana (Inactive)