Employment litigation counsel focused on practical, client-driven solutions
Ashley Kearney defends California employers in litigation of claims for wage and hour violations, whistleblowing, wrongful termination, harassment and discrimination. She also assists clients in responding to charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and the California Civil Rights Department, in addition to advising clients on litigation avoidance.
Before law school, Ashley spent three years working as a corporate immigration paralegal.
Experience in Action
- Assists California clients in responding to claims brought under the Fair Employment and Housing Act. Ashley assists clients with responding to threatened litigation and defending suits involving claims brought under the FEHA, such as discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination. This includes defense of disability discrimination claims and related claims for failure to accommodate and engage in the interactive process.
- Advises employers on litigation avoidance and counsels employers on a variety of matters, including termination decisions and employee handbook policies.
- Assists employers in obtaining temporary and permanent workplace restraining orders.
- Disability discrimination and related claims dismissed at summary judgment stage.
- Advised client through negotiations related to threatened disability discrimination claims resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Successfully obtained multiple temporary restraining orders, which were subsequently granted on a permanent basis.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Member of the Board of Leaders, Partners in College Success (PiCS)
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement at the Department of Homeland Security, legal intern
- San Diego Legal Aid Society, legal intern assisting at the Domestic Violence Clinic and Unlawful Detainer Clinic.
- Casa Cornelia Law Center, immigration legal intern
News & Insights
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2020)
- San Diego Law Review, member
- Order of the Coif
- University of California, Santa Barbara (B.A., 2012)
- Global Studies