Goal-oriented IP protection, counseling and enforcement
Christian Stahl focuses on intellectual property (IP) litigation and strategic counseling, which provides firm clients with the best of both worlds -- counseling to preemptively avoid issues and preparation through good enforcement strategies, as well as settlement negotiations and execution on both offensive and defensive litigation when necessary. He helps clients with:
- Counsel related to intellectual property licensing, due diligence, portfolio and asset strategies, brand licensing and marketing collateral.
- Negotiation of the sale and purchase of intellectual property.
- A wide range of litigation matters, including patent, copyright, trade secret, trademark, trade dress, unfair competition and false advertising litigation.
Christian’s goal-oriented approach focuses on client needs and practical and well-informed solutions. He capitalizes on his experience with a variety of IP to provide clients with broad strategies and targeted advice to advance business goals.
Experience in Action
- Advises on IP procurement and asset management strategies to bolster IP defense and prepare for enforcement when required.
- Prepares and executes cease and desist actions, discovery, motion practice, claim construction, domain name disputes and UDRP proceedings.
- Litigates in federal court, conducts proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), domain disputes, UDRP proceedings and specialized third-party proceedings such as Amazon’s Utility Patent Neutral Evaluation (UPNE).
- Frequently provides training sessions to in-house teams (both lawyers and non-lawyers) on IP, social media, non-disclosure agreements, supply agreements related to IP and licensing IP.
- Litigates matters involving non-practicing entities (NPE) in the patent space and with copyright aggregators.
- Successfully represented a national organic foods supermarket in many aspects of IP, including litigating and negotiating favorable settlements in various IP and IP-related matters.
- Counseled and provided trademark enforcement and defense with favorable results for an international apparel company.
- Represented a multi-national software company against a rival technology company in an international trademark dispute resulting in a successful and favorable settlement.
- Represented a major beverage company in IP counseling, portfolio and asset strategies, and enforcement involving trademarks, copyrights, trade dress and unfair competition.
- Represented a major specialty retailer in all aspects of IP counseling and litigation, including defending against various trademark and trade dress claims, asserting trademarks against others, and providing counsel on IP asset and portfolio building strategies.
- Represented several startup and small technology companies on IP matters to prepare for funding and growth, advising them on IP asset and portfolio building strategies, and enforcing/defending their intellectual property.
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS) Distinguished Service Award for Pro Bono Services (2009)
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Illinois Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- International Trademark Association (Member)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (Member)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) (Fellow, 2015)
News & Insights
- Media Mention
- News Release
- News Release
- News Release
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Journal of Intellectual Property (Contributing Editor)
- Vanderbilt University (B.S., 2002)
- Major: Molecular Biology
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit