Experienced IP protection for life sciences industries and technologies
Therese Finan secures and protects clients' intellectual property (IP) rights through patent asset development and management, patent landscape analysis, non-infringement and invalidity opinions, freedom-to-operate analysis, due diligence and licensing. She serves clients from startups to Fortune 500 companies, universities, and private equity and venture capital firms in a variety of industries and technologies. Therese assists clients primarily in the life sciences industry, including
- Biologics and pharmaceuticals
- Medical devices
Therese works with her clients to understand their business objectives and counsels them accordingly. Clients benefit from Therese's deep background in the biomedical and biotechnology fields, including research in biochemistry, cell biology and immunology.
Therese also counsels clients on trademark matters from developing to securing brand ownership, including procuring and enforcing trademark rights. Early in her career, Therese gained experience in public policy and the health care sector.
Experience in Action
- Counsels and collaborates with clients to secure and protect diverse domestic and international patent rights.
- Prepares and prosecutes patent applications for various life science and medical device technologies, including stem cells, antibodies, antivirals, biologics, pharmaceuticals, biomarkers, RNA and DNA, cell and tissue culture, diagnostic assays and treatment methods, drug delivery products and methods, and biosensors.
- Conducts patent due diligence investigations and IP transactions involving preparing and negotiating license agreements, joint development agreements, material transfer agreements, technical services agreements, non-disclosure agreements and asset purchase agreements.
- Counsels clients on trademark procurement, brand development and dispute resolution.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Issues Committee, member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, member
- Boston Patent Law Association, member
- Widener University School of Law (J.D., 1993)
- Pennsylvania State University (B.S., 1984)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office