Yakov Sidorin, Ph.D., is a partner in the firm's Tucson Intellectual Property Practice Group. His IP practice includes all areas of intellectual property counseling (with focus on patent prosecution, licensing and transfer of IP into market, opinion work, infringement analysis, and valuation of IP) for a variety of clients, including academic institutions, multinational corporations, mid-size companies, and startups. His patent prosecution practice, both in the U.S. and in multiple foreign jurisdictions, embraces optical sciences and technologies, photonics, semiconductor technologies and non-linear optics, medical devices and applications (e.g., endoscopic optical diagnostics and laser treatment; photodynamic therapy, ophthalmology, mechanisms of skin photoaging, and ultraviolet photobiology of skin), spectroscopy, imaging (e.g., confocal microscopy, OCT, X-ray, and ultrasound), applied physics, electrical and mechanical engineering, and automotive and sport-related industries.
Prior to practicing law, Dr. Sidorin contributed to the development of optical sciences and technologies as an engineer, scientist, chief technology officer, and director of research and development of established companies and several startups, one of which delivered products to market and was acquired.
Dr. Sidorin held an adjunct faculty position at the Optical Sciences Center, the University of Arizona.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Patent Prosecution
- Research Institutions
- Technology Transfer
- Higher Education
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- University of Arizona–James E. Rogers College of Law (J.D., 2007)
- University of Arizona (Ph.D., 1998)
- Major: Optical Sciences
- Moscow Institute of Radio Engineering, Electronics and Automation (Russia) (with honors, 1989)
- Major: Engineering
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
Professional and Civic Activities
- Arizona Technology Council (Board of Directors)
- SPIE Photonics West - Conference Program Committee Member (2001 - present)
- Reviewer of articles submitted to Journal of Optical Engineering and Topical Editor for two of its special issues
- Reviewer of technical publications for Optics and Photonics News, Optics Letters, Journal of Applied Physics, and Optics Express
- Named inventor on 16 issued U.S. and foreign patents