Amelia Valenzuela is a member of the firm’s Restructuring, Bankruptcy & Creditor's Rights Group. She focuses her practice on bankruptcy, commercial litigation, and creditors' rights litigation. Amelia has experience representing large lending institutions, private equity groups, loan servicers, and other classes of secured and unsecured creditors in state court and in bankruptcy proceedings under Chapters 7, 11, and 13 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented national banking institutions and other commercial lenders in connection with pre-bankruptcy loan restructurings, state court litigation, receivership actions, and foreclosures in connection with commercial loans.
- Represented an in-flight magazine company in a Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Represented creditors in nondischargeability, preference, and fraudulent conveyance actions.
- Represented creditors in connection with the negotiation and use of cash collateral and forms of adequate protection.
- Represented creditors in stay relief proceedings in connection with diverse types of collateral.
- Represented creditors in appellate proceedings before the Bankruptcy Appellate Panel of the Ninth Circuit and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented municipalities in connection with district court litigation and bankruptcy proceedings.
Prior to joining Quarles and Brady, she served as a research assistant for Professor Charles Calleros and Professor James Weinstein, and also as a legal intern at Consejo Nacional de Rehabilitación y Educación Especial in Costa Rica.
- Bankruptcy, Restructuring, and Creditor's Rights
- Banking & Financial Institutions
Education and Honors
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University (J.D., magna cum laude, 2013)
- Arizona State Law Journal (Executive Note and Comment Editor); Order of the Coif (Member)
- National Association of Women Lawyers Outstanding Graduate Award; William H. Pedrick Scholar
- Center for Law and Global Affairs Fellow; Women Law Students’ Association (Executive Board Member)
- Chicano-Latino Law Student Association (Member); Homeless Legal Assistance Program
- Wheaton College, Massachusetts (B.A., magna cum laude, 2007)
- Majors: English and Hispanic Studies
- Dean’s List
- Balfour Scholar; Presidential Scholarship
- High Achievement in Spanish; Academic Advising Center (Preceptor)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Appellate Panel of the Ninth Circuit, 2017
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2017
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2013
Professional and Civic Activities
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- Boad Member of Rosie's House, a Music Academy for Children
- Judicial Extern to the Honorable Michael Daly Hawkins, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals