Eric Matzke is a business advisor and litigator who develops legal strategies that help his clients achieve their business objectives. He advises clients across a variety of industries including heavy industrial manufacturing, consumer products, recreational and commercial pool products, commercial construction, food manufacturing, agriculture, sports and entertainment, high tech manufacturing and supply chain.
Eric is an experienced litigator who represents clients in state and federal courts across the country. He represents manufacturing clients in product liability litigation nationwide and advises them on related issues including product design, modification, field issues, retrofits, indemnity and commercial disputes.
Eric's recent experience includes:
- Represented a vehicle manufacturer in a $50 million product liability trial in Phoenix, Arizona, and secured a full defense verdict.
- Represented a water tank manufacturer in a $12 million product liability trial in federal court in Louisiana, resulting in a defense verdict.
- Serves as Chief Legal Advisor to TitletownTech, a technology venture fund.
- Advises a variety of manufacturers on commercial and supplier disputes.
- Obtained a dismissal on behalf of a mining equipment manufacturer in a traumatic brain injury case involving a portable rock crushing plant.
- Represented a motorcycle manufacturer at a wrongful death trial involving a motorcycle helmet where the jury returned a defense verdict.
- Obtained a dismissal on behalf of a pump manufacturer in a wrongful death action arising from the explosion of a vertical slurry pump.
- Represents a national music organization in copyright infringement actions.
- Represented a pro bono client in a jury trial involving a 42 U.S.C. § 1983 claim arising from alleged First-Amendment retaliation.
- Product Liability
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Business Law
- Sports, Entertainment and Media Industry
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., magna cum laude)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., with distinction)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Professional and Civic Activities
- DRI, member
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Editions, Personal Injury
Defense: Products, 2013-2020