John Linzer is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group. In his practice, Mr. Linzer focuses on patent counseling, prosecution, litigation, and post-grant proceedings. His counseling and prosecution experience involves working with inventors and corporate counsel beginning at the earliest stages of the patent process. His litigation experience includes appearances at the trial level in U.S. district courts and in the appellate phase before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Mr. Linzer’s counseling and prosecution work includes analyzing and building comprehensive patent portfolios, obtaining and evaluating technical disclosures, performing patent novelty searches, rendering opinions on issues of claim construction, infringement, and validity, and preparing, filing, and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent applications. Mr. Linzer also conducts examiner interviews and responds to Office Actions with amendments and arguments, and when appropriate, he handles appeals (including oral argument before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board), all with the goal of obtaining issuance of strong, enduring patents for the firm’s clients.
In patent litigation, Mr. Linzer’s experience includes drafting pleadings, drafting and responding to discovery requests and motions, preparing for and assisting in depositions, preparing principal and reply briefs on issues of claim construction, validity, and infringement, and preparing for oral argument before the Federal Circuit. He has the experience and ability to meet even the accelerated pace of actions in the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC).
Mr. Linzer also has experience with Patent Office post-grant proceedings, representing both patent owners and petitioners in those accelerated proceedings.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Litigation
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Technology Transfer
- Trade Secrets
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Design Patents
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2004)
- Regional Moot Court Team Member
- University of Notre Dame (B.S., cum laude, 2001)
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineering Society
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2004
Professional and Civic Activities
- Intellectual Property Association of Chicago (Member of the Amicus Committee)