John Linzer is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group. In his practice, John focuses on patent counseling, prosecution, litigation, and post-grant proceedings. His counseling and prosecution experience involves working with inventors and corporate counsel from the earliest stages of the design process through product launch. His litigation experience includes appearances at the trial level in U.S. district courts, and in the appellate phase before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
John’s counseling and prosecution work includes analyzing and building comprehensive patent portfolios with design and utility patents, obtaining and evaluating technical disclosures across a wide spectrum of technologies, rendering clearance, infringement, validity, and claim construction opinions, and prosecuting U.S. and foreign patent applications. He also handles appeals (including oral argument before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board), all with the goal of obtaining issuance of strong, enduring patents for the firm’s clients.
John’s experience spans a diverse range of industries from the high tech sectors of medical informatics and nuclear reactors to the mechanical arts, including consumer products like athletic wear, golf equipment, handheld tools, and household cleaning and pest control products. Having more than fifteen years of experience before the U.S. Patent & Trademark office, he is able to provide efficient and cost effective strategies for acquiring patent rights, and to help corporations and inventors determine the best path forward in any situation.
John’s experience extends to patent litigation, where he has drafted pleadings, discovery requests and motions, and principal and reply briefs on issues of claim construction, validity, and infringement. John has assisted with depositions in trial court and oral arguments before the Federal Circuit. John also has experience before the U.S. Supreme Court, where he has been Counsel of Record for several amicus curiae briefs in high-profile intellectual property cases.
John also is experienced in Patent Office post-grant proceedings, representing both patent owners and petitioners in those accelerated proceedings.
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Litigation
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Technology Transfer
- Trade Secrets
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Design Patents
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2004)
- Regional Moot Court Team Member
- University of Notre Dame (B.S., cum laude, 2001)
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineering Society
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2004
Professional and Civic Activities
- Intellectual Property Association of Chicago (Amicus Committee, member)