Joe Kohn is an experienced commercial litigator who focuses his practice in financial services litigation, including complex mortgage foreclosure cases, consumer protection lawsuits, RICO and fraud actions, and title disputes. His recent experience representing loan servicers, lenders and other financial institutions includes:
- Representing loan servicers and lenders in hundreds of contested mortgage foreclosure cases, including through trial and appeal.
- Defending loan servicers and lenders against consumer protection claims, including under the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), Florida Consumer Collections Practices Act (FCCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
- Defending RMBS trustees and loan servicers in federal and state RICO actions.
- Represented loan servicer at two-day trial in case involving complex accounting issues and equitable claims.
- Drafted brief in the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of lender in declaratory judgment action.
In addition to financial services litigation, Joe has experience in a wide range of matters, from representing individuals and business owners in real estate, construction and contract disputes, to defending large companies in product liability and antitrust class actions. He represents clients in both state and federal courts, and in all phases of litigation, including mediation, trials and appeals.
Joe brings a practical approach to resolving disputes and representing businesses, having been a business owner himself. Before going to law school, Joe opened and managed a small business in Southwest Florida.
He also dedicates time to his community and pro bono services. Joe recently represented a Vietnam War veteran suffering from thyroid cancer and asthma before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. He also chairs the Quarles Cares program in his office, which organizes volunteer and service events in the community.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Real Estate and Construction Litigation
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Class Action Defense
Education and Honors
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Member of the Fordham Law Review
- Managing Editor of Moot Court
- Order of the Coif
- Middlebury College (B.A., cum laude)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
Professional and Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- The New York Bar
- Collier County Bar Association
- Quarles Cares Chairperson (organizing community volunteer events for the firm)
- Associate Leadership Collier Class of 2017 (Greater Naples Chamber of Commerce)
- Zamore v. Deutsche Bank Nat'l Trust Co., 762 Fed. Appx. 996 (11th Cir. 2019), cert. denied, 140 S. Ct. 857 (2020), reh'g denied, 140 S. Ct. 1552 (2020)
- Deutsche Bank Nat'l Trust Co., v. Cope, 311 So. 3d 120 (Fla. 2d DCA 2020)
- Deutsche Bank Nat'l Trust Co., v. James Sheard, 249 So. 3d 736 (Fla. 2d DCA 2018)
- U.S. Bank, N.A., v. Western Homes, LLC, 245 So. 3d 1011 (Fla. 3d DCA 2018)