Liya Green represents clients in the technology, health, energy and academic sectors before the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Department of Labor, the Department of State and state health agencies. She advises clients on issues arising from the hiring, transfer and permanent sponsorship of foreign-national employees.
Years of practical experience as an immigration paralegal before receiving her J.D. give Liya a depth of knowledge that adds value for her clients. Examples of her range of full-service experience include performing complex immigration law research and drafting responses to USCIS requests for evidence or notices of intent to deny; preparing briefs in support of appeals and motions for various immigration applications; counseling clients in complying with DOL regulations while conducting PERM recruitment; assisting clients in all phases of nonimmigrant sponsorship, including E, L, O, H-1B, and TN visa categories; managing PERM applications, immigrant petitions for multinational managers and executives, outstanding researchers, and aliens of extraordinary ability; reviewing proposed regulations and new regulations and advising clients of their impact on clients’ business operations; and counseling clients on I-9 compliance requirements.
- Counsels large multinational corporations in establishing and amending company blankets to facilitate the efficient transfer of international staff;
- Advises and assists medical centers and hospitals in obtaining appropriate nonimmigrant status and immigrant status for foreign national physicians and medical residents;
- Assists J-1 physicians in obtaining waivers of the J-1 foreign residence requirement;
- Advises employers in all areas of nonimmigrant and immigrant sponsorship of foreign national employees; and
- Advises foreign national employees on renewing nonimmigrant visas at U.S. consulates worldwide.
Liya provides pro bono assistance to individual clients filing naturalization and green card applications. She is a member of the Labor & Employment Group's Immigration team.
Education and Honors
- American University Washington College of Law (J.D., 2014)
- Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania (B.S., 1998)
- District of Columbia
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, member
- International Medical Graduate Taskforce, member