Providing clients with efficient and experienced IP counsel
John Linzer is a patent attorney who helps clients with patent counseling, prosecution, post-grant proceedings and litigation. His counseling and prosecution experience involves working with inventors and corporate counsel from the earliest stages of the design process through product launch. John's litigation experience includes appearances at the trial level in U.S. district courts and in the appellate phase before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. His clients span a diverse range of industries in the mechanical, electrical, biotechnology and software arts, including:
- Consumer products, such as athletic wear, golf equipment, handheld tools, household cleaning and pest control products
- Health care, including medical informatics, precision medicine and applying AI and machine learning for clinical and molecular data
- Autonomous vehicles
Having more than 15 years of experience before the U.S. Patent & Trademark office, John is able to provide efficient and cost-effective strategies for acquiring patent rights and helping corporations and inventors determine the best path forward in any situation.
Experience in Action
- Assists clients with patent prosecution. John prepares and prosecutes patent applications through allowance, developing and implementing strategies to aid clients in building out their patent portfolios.
- Provides strategic counseling to his clients, issuing opinions related to patent clearance, freedom-to-operate and enforceability. John meticulously analyzes, compares and designs around competitor IP to clear products before launch and also determines and opines on whether and to what extent client IP covers competitor products.
- Represents clients in patent office post-grant proceedings. John works with both patent owners and petitioners in these accelerated proceedings.
- Handles appeals, including oral argument before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, with the goal of obtaining issuance of strong, enduring patents.
- Counsels clients during patent litigation, where he drafts pleadings, discovery requests and motions, and principal and reply briefs on issues of claim construction, validity and infringement.
- Appears before the U.S. Supreme Court, where he has been counsel of record for several amicus curiae briefs in high-profile intellectual property cases.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Intellectual Property Association of Chicago, Amicus Committee, member
News & Insights
- News Release
- "United States v. Arthrex, Inc., Brief of the Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago as Amicus Curiae in Support of No Party"
- Media Mention
- News Release
- "Oil States Energy Services LLC v. Greene's Energy Group, LLC, Brief of Amicus Curie, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago in Support of Neither Party"
- Media MentionJohn R Linzer featured in article "IP Lawyer Joins Quarles & Brady’s Intellectual Property Practice Group"
- News Release
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2004)
- Regional Moot Court, member
- University of Notre Dame (B.S., cum laude, 2001)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineering Society
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2006
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2004