Technically skilled and thorough product liability defense
Lars Gulbrandsen focuses on product liability matters. With clients including manufacturers of consumer products, tools, medical devices, motor vehicles and other products, Lars advises on:
- Product liability defense
- Product recalls and regulatory actions
Clients appreciate the thoroughness with which Lars approaches cases. Particularly adept at developing evidence and tackling expert issues, Lars brings deep technical knowledge of the products he defends to the strategies and legal solutions he develops for clients. He has prepared and deposed numerous expert witnesses – including mechanical engineers, metallurgists, materials scientists and physicians – and is highly skilled in developing accident evidence to build the best possible defense and translating technical knowledge into persuasive arguments before judges and juries.
Experience in Action
- Defending against product liability claims involving a variety of consumer products as well as machines and vehicles.
- Litigating large toxic tort cases.
- Advising on product recalls and related regulatory questions arising before the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- Defense verdict for manufacturer of pressure vessel in the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Defense verdict for consumer product manufacturer in Tucson, Ariz.
- Successfully defended equipment manufacturer from personal injury claims arising from a skid steer loader accident.
- Winning argument in Wisconsin Supreme Court in case involving interpretation of indemnification provision of service contract.
- Prevailed in front of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in case interpreting the economic loss doctrine.
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers–Rising Stars Edition 2008 (Personal Injury Defense: Products)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society (2015)
Professional & Civic Activities
- State Bar of Wisconsin, member
- American Bar Association, member
- 7th Circuit Bar Association, member
- MVLC, advisory board member
- Member, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC), member, 2019
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic, board member and volunteer lawyer
- Jones v. Coors Brewing Company, 378 F. Supp. 3d 1132 (M.D. Fla. 2019)
- American Family Mutual Insurance Company v. Cintas Corp. No. 2., et al., 2018 WI 81, 914 N.W.2d 76
- Cook v. MillerCoors LLC, et al., 872 F. Supp. 2d 1346 (M.D. Fla. 2012)
- Cowley v. Abbott Laboratories, Inc., et al., 476 F. Supp. 2d 1053 (W.D. Wis. 2007)
- Horst v. Deere & Co., 2009 WI 75, 312 Wis. 2d 421, 752 N.W.2d 406
- St. Paul Mercury Ins. Co. v. Viking Corp., 539 F.3d 623 (7th Cir. 2008)
News & Insights
- Presentation"Safe, Effective and Well Thought Out: Product Liability and Avoiding Unexpected Pitfalls"Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) Entrepreneurons Series
- Pro Bono
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 2001)
- St. Olaf College (B.A., 1996)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit, 2012