Comprehensive business law insight for companies, government and nonprofits
Sujata Chugh helps domestic and international financial institutions, nonprofit organizations, manufacturers and government agencies with myriad business law issues. These matters include corporate governance, board structure, tax exemption and ongoing compliance, diversity and inclusion matters, contract preparation and negotiation, securities issuances, entity formations and other transactional matters. Sujata also has experience:
- Representing corporate and nonprofit clients on asset purchases, supplier agreements, risk management, governance, banking and finance regulations, compliance matters, disclosure issues and financing.
- Advising both public and private clients in complex commercial and financial transactions, including loans, asset financings, bond financings and international project finance.
- Supporting securities matters for nonprofit and corporate clients.
Sujata has a deep commitment to building meaningful relationships with her clients, as well as in her community, where she is actively involved in several civic organizations. She previously served as a consultant and public policy adviser for both nonprofits and government agencies, addressing areas such as strategic direction, public policy, grant writing and board recruitment and governance. Sujata also served in Kentucky Governor Steven Beshear’s Office of Health Policy.
Experience in Action
- Provides counsel on complex and everyday corporate and organizational matters. Clients turn to Sujata for both strategic and practical advice to help their organizations achieve big goals and operate smoothly day-to-day.
- Negotiates and advises on both operational matters and financings. Sujata understands that operational and financial issues overlap, but also require a different focus and legal and practical considerations.
- Handles life cycle and transactional matters for nonprofit organizations. Sujata assists nonprofit organizations (including public charities, private foundations, advocacy organizations, business leagues, fiscal sponsors and individual funders) in forming, incorporating, filing for tax exemption, forming collaborative partnerships, pursuing revenue-generation activities and ongoing compliance.
- Drafted and negotiated highly complex sale/purchase and operations/maintenance agreements on behalf of international wind turbine manufacturer. The level of both financial and logistical risk-sharing between the transaction parties was the central and high-stakes issue of repeated transactions, all of which came to successful conclusions and enabled the proliferation of renewable energy solutions.
- Successfully handled large-scale, national securities issuances. This process involved preparing myriad state-specific applications, building relationships with state regulatory authorities to manage state-specific requirements and successfully obtaining the approvals necessary to allow clients to market their securities.
- Managed multi-jurisdictional, multi-year financing of complex public infrastructure projects, frequently in emerging markets. These transactions involved numerous private and public sector cross-border entities in first-in-market deal structures that served as models for other transactions to come.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association (Indiana chapter), board member (2022-present)
- Indiana State Bar Association, Membership Committee, member (2022-present)
- Princeton Alumni Association of Indiana, member (2021-Present)
- Harvard Club of Indiana, member (2021-Present)
- Hoosier Women Forward, board member (2019-Present)
- Better Indiana PAC, executive committee, member (2018- present)
- Indiana-India Business Council, member (2018-Present)
- Women’s Fund of Central Indiana, OPTIONS19 class member (2018-2019)
- Wheeler Mission – Center for Women and Children, volunteer (2017-Present)
- The Orchard School, Diversity Committee, member (2016-Present)
- Hindu Temple of Central Indiana, member & volunteer (2016-Present)
News & Insights
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 2003)
- The London School of Economics and Political Science (M.S.c., 1999)
- Princeton University (A.B., summa cum laude, 1998)
- French (Basic)
- Gujarati (Fluent)
- Hindi (Basic)