Strategic patent portfolio management, responsive communication
Todd Coffeen Jr. works with clients to protect their market share, with a focus on patent prosecution, infringement risk mitigation and strategic portfolio management. Todd commonly works with clients ranging from solo inventors to large, multinational corporations on a wide range of intellectual property (IP) issues, such as global patent prosecution, clearance, invalidity, and state-of-the-art review and IP transaction due diligence. Todd’s practice relates to technologies such as:
- Artificial intelligence (AI)
- Autonomous vehicles
- Electric vehicle propulsion systems
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Recreational outdoor equipment, including firearms, firearm accessories, archery equipment and archery accessories
With a focus on responsive communication and real-world engineering experience, Todd is a strategic advisor who understands his client’s business needs, helping clients maximize their market share.
Experience in Action
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications for clients in both domestic and foreign jurisdictions.
- Managing patent portfolios for clients ranging from startups to global corporations.
- Monitoring competitor patents and products for potential infringement risks.
- Advising clients on infringement risks and patent enforcement/defensive strategies.
- Drafting opinions concerning patent validity, clearance and patentability.
- Performing due diligence for mergers & acquisitions (M&A) and other IP transactions.
- Providing on-site and remote training opportunities to client engineering and legal teams, including proven strategies for generating invention disclosures, patent prosecution procedures and best practices for patent clearance.
- Purdue University (B.S.)
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Minor: Electrical Engineering
- Minor: Civil Engineering
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D.)
- Intellectual Property Student Association (IPSA), Treasurer
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- United States Patent and Trademark Office