Steven V. Hunter is a trial lawyer with first-chair experience representing companies in all phases of litigation and alternative dispute resolution, including discovery, "e-discovery," motions practice, arbitration, mediation, jury trials, bench trials, and appeals.
Mr. Hunter has experience:
- Representing financial institutions and banks in commercial loan, multi-creditor/participating loan, lender liability, fraud, and consumer fraud disputes including the recovery and disposition of several million dollars of secured assets.
- Representing international raw material, component, and end-product manufacturers (Chinese, UK, and Korean) in product liability, breach of contract, and business tort claims brought in U.S. courts (with a particular emphasis on challenging jurisdiction).
- Representing closely held corporations as well as members and shareholders in "corporate divorce"/corporate dissolution disputes.
- Representing construction managers, owners, and trades in construction-related disputes.
- Representing landlords and tenants in commercial leasing disputes.
- Representing entertainers and professional athletes in business and personal liability disputes.
- Representing companies and individuals before various Illinois state and local administrative agencies.
- Representing companies in breach of contract and business tort disputes.
- Representing an investor in a FINRA Arbitration against a broker related to $12 million in tenancy in common securities.
- Representing a securities investor in a claim related to an underlying FINRA Arbitration.
- Serving as counsel for asbestos litigation on behalf of a number of companies.
- Representing pro bono clients in criminal, family law, and political asylum proceedings.
Mr. Hunter also has significant experience managing high-volume ESI productions, computer forensic analysis, and complex data preservation issues. He is an ACEDS certified electronic discovery specialist,* and he is regularly invited to speak on issues related to electronic discovery, trial practice, legal ethics, pro bono, and diversity in the legal profession.
* The bars of Illinois and New York do not recognize legal specialties.
- Patent Litigation
- Data Privacy & Security
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Fiduciary, Trust and Probate Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Securities and Shareholder Litigation
Education and Honors
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., 2002)
- Barrister's Council, Trial Division Chairman
- American College of Trial Lawyers "Excellence in Trial Advocacy" Award (2001–2002)
- National Black Law Students Association (National Attorney General)
- Brown University (A.B., 1999)
- Majors: Political Science & Economics
- AMTA Mock Trial Team Chairman
- AMTA Eastern Regional Mock Trial Tournament (Best Advocate, 1999)
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2015
- New York State Court, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 2004
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2002
- Illinois State Court, 2002
Professional and Civic Activities
- Quarles & Brady National Diversity Committee
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (Fellow)
- Chicago Child Care Society (Board Member)
- The Chicago Sinfonietta (Board Member)
- HealthConnect One, Inc. (Board Member)
- Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Committee (Hearing Officer)
- Iona Calhoun School of Classical Ballet, Inc. (Board Member)
- Chinatown Legal Clinic (Clinic Co-Chairman)
- Chicago United (Member)
- Brown University Club of Chicago (Member)
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. (Member, Chicago Alumni Chapter)
- Northeast Illinois Council (NEIC) of the Boy Scouts of America, Inc. (Pro Bono General Counsel)
- Museum of Science and Industry (Member of the President's Council)
- Chicago Bar Association (Former Chairman of committee on Racial and Ethnic Diversity)
- The Chicago Bar Foundation (Former Member of the Young Professionals Board)
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Inc. (Former Board Member and Clinic Chairman)
- National Bar Association (Member)
- Illinois State Bar Association (Member)
- New York State Bar Association (Member)
- Chicago Committee on Minorities In Large Law Firms (Former Associate's Committee Member)
- Asian Legal Services Clinic (Former clinic chairman)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (Member)
- ISBA Commercial Banking, Collections & Bankruptcy Law Council (Member, 2015-2016)
- Economic Club of Chicago (Member)
- Art Institute of Chicago (Co-Chair, Leadership Advisory Council)
- Named a Business Leader of Color by Chicago United (2017)
- "Top Attorneys in Illinois," Chicago Magazine (2016)
- Michael L. Gonring Pro Bono Partner of the Year Award (2015)
- James P. Lykes African-American Male Image Award (2015)
- Named a Leading Lawyers "Emerging Lawyer" (2015)
- Illinois State Bar Association "2012 Young Lawyer of the Year"
- National Bar Association's "Nation's Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40" (2011)
- "Men of Excellence" Award, Chicago Defender (2011)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, "Public Interest Convocation Award" (2010)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® (2014–present: Business Litigation)
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars Editions (2009–2013: Business Litigation)
- "40 Illinois Attorneys under 40 to Watch," Law Bulletin Publishing Company, Chicago Lawyer Magazine and The Chicago Daily Law Bulletin (2008)
- "Maurice Weigle Exceptional Young Lawyer Award," Chicago Bar Association (2006)
- "National Pro Bono Associate Award," DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary, US LLP (2006)
- "Chicago Office Pro Bono Associate of the Year," DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary, US LLP (2005)
- "Distinguished Service Award," Chicago Volunteer Legal Service Foundation (2004)
- "National Pro Bono Associate Award," Piper Rudnick, LLP (2003)
- Corus Bank, N.A. v. Eduard De Guardiola, 593 F.Supp.2d 991 (December 17, 2008)