Quite simply, we are deal-makers
Capabilities at a glance
- Comprehensive legal support for your project, from the initial planning and programming to completion and beyond.
- Attorneys with the highest of legal technical excellence on the complex array of industry-standard construction document families.
- Diverse experience across a wide range of construction projects, from office and retail, to hotel, hospitals, auto dealerships and manufacturing facilities.
- Full integration with our dedicated Real Estate and Construction Litigation teams, for seamless continuity in addressing dispute resolution, arbitration, insurance claims and litigation.
Commercial construction transaction legal advice guided by your business goals
The Commercial Construction Transactions team works in cooperation with colleagues across Quarles to provide a seamless turn-key solution to the myriad issues that present themselves on a construction project. As the occasion demands, we may represent publicly traded and privately held owners, lenders, developers, general contractors, design professionals, construction managers, subcontractors, material suppliers, insurers or sureties. We take pride in our ability to provide general counsel to our clients at every stage of the construction process, and when necessary, we have the resources, skill and experience to effectively and efficiently resolve disputes arising, including mediation, arbitration and litigation of claims for extra costs, completion delays, defective work, insurance coverage and a host of other matters.
Your job is to get a project built; our job is to help you prepare the documents and provide the counsel so you can focus on your project with as few obstacles and setbacks as possible. Whether you are in the beginning stages of your construction project or somewhere along the path to completion, let us help you reach the destination sooner. We also take a collaborative approach to contract negotiation and team formation, enabling us to create or negotiate contract documents that protect our client’s most important interests, while recognizing that language that inappropriately allocates project-related risks is often counterproductive. Everything is guided by our clients’ unique business objectives.
Cutting-edge collaborative approaches to commercial construction transactions
From the outset, our team will analyze the pros and cons of your available project delivery methods, and assess its unique conditions, in order to arrive at a set of contract documents that meet the needs of each individual project and its participants. Quarles is on the cutting edge of construction transaction management via what is known as integrated project delivery (IPD). This new and refreshing approach to collaborative construction combines cutting-edge technology (e.g., building information modeling or BIM) with collaborative design and construction methodologies and brings together owners, design professionals and construction contractors at the beginning of a project. It’s an approach designed to eliminate the waste and risk-shifting inherent in the more traditional project delivery approaches in favor of a new relationship of shared risk. The result is a new kind of contract, in which all partners in the construction venture have attractive financial incentives to manage the project together, leading to fewer disputes and delays, fewer unpleasant surprises, substantial cost savings over the life of the project, and a shared mission and reward.
We tap into our frontline experiences to inform our advice, having worked in the construction industry as attorneys and as businesspeople. Our insights and practical experience also allow us to recognize distress situations in a construction project at an early stage, and enable us to identify practical solutions to keep all project participants on track to complete on time and within budget. While we maintain an experienced, effective team of construction litigators who can step up when needed, our commercial construction team's goal is to prevent any disputes from arising.
- Lead design and construction transactional counsel for an owner's development of three high-end resort hotel projects in Scottsdale and Tucson, Ariz., totaling over $150 million in project costs.
- Lead design and construction transactional counsel for a publicly traded automotive dealership overseeing the expansion of the client's dealerships and warehouse facilities across the United States on projects totaling over $500 million in costs.
- Lead construction transactional counsel for a privately held corporation in the development of a $1 billion manufacturing facility in Arizona.