Lauren R. Harpke is an environmental lawyer who focuses her practice on corporate environmental, health, and worker safety issues, including risk assessment, regulatory compliance, and site remediation and brownfields redevelopment.
She works with corporate clients to address environmental, health, and worker safety concerns arising in mergers, acquisitions, and other complex business and real estate transactions. She also advises her clients on regulatory compliance and enforcement matters, including coordinating information requests, enforcement actions, and settlement negotiations with state and federal environmental agencies regarding compliance questions or enforcement under RCRA, EPCRA, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, OSHA, and state counterparts.
Lauren's recent experience includes:
- Conducting due diligence and risk assessment in connection with corporate and real estate transactions, negotiating allocation of identified environmental liabilities, facilitating the transfer of environmental permits and licenses, and addressing compliance and other post-transaction integration issues
- Assisting manufacturing and industrial clients in performing regulatory compliance audits, corrective activities, and reporting under federal and various states’ audit privilege and penalty mitigation policies
- Assisting industrial facilities and real estate developers in site remediation and redevelopment projects, including obtaining access to contaminated properties, negotiating payment structure, evaluating possible remediation options, and obtaining case closure.
- Advising numerous manufacturing and distributor clients on implementing California Proposition 65 requirements, including determining appropriate warning obligations and coordinating supplier certifications.
- Counseling clients regarding Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and Environmental Protection and Community Right to Know Act compliance and defense of RCRA and EPCRA enforcement actions.
- Energy, Infrastructure & Environment
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Dean's List
- Public Interest Law Foundation
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., with honors, 2003)
- Major: International Relations
- Certificate: Environmental Studies
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2007
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member of Environment, Energy, and Resources Law Section and Young Lawyers Division)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Federation of Environmental Technologists (Member)
- Environmental Law Institute (Member)
- Wisconsin Manufacturers Commerce (Member)
- Sojourner Family Peace Center (Former Courthouse Clinic Pro Bono Coordinator and Volunteer)
- The Park People of Milwaukee County (Former Board Member)
- Guardianship Pro Bono Clinic (Program Co-chair and Volunteer)
- Milwaukee Repertory Theater's Community Advisory Panel (Former Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society (2015)