Lauren R. Harpke focuses her practice on corporate environmental, health, and workers safety issues. Ms. Harpke's recent experience includes:
- Working with corporate clients to address environmental concerns arising in mergers, acquisitions, and other complex business transactions, by conducting due diligence and risk assessment, negotiating liability allocation, facilitating the transfer of environmental permits and licenses, addressing compliance and other integration issues.
- Conduct environmental due diligence and risk assessment in connection with real estate transactions, evaluating liability risks and suitability of use, for development of manufacturing, commercial, and charter school projects.
- Investigating and resolving OSHA citations including those resulting in employee injury or death.
- Advising clients in environmental regulatory compliance, recordkeeping and record retention policies under a wide range of environmental programs.
- Assisting clients in site remediation, including obtaining access to contaminated properties, negotiating payment structure, evaluating possible remediation options and obtaining case closure.
- Experience in complex environmental insurance litigation and allocation.
- Assisting clients in navigating the issues arising under the Great Lakes – St. Lawrence River Basin Water Resources Compact.
- Coordinating information requests, enforcement actions, and settlement negotiations with state and federal environmental agencies regarding citations under RCRA, EPCRA, the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act, and state counterparts.
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Dean's List
- Public Interest Law Foundation
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., with honors, 2003)
- Major: International Relations
- Certificate: Environmental Studies
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2007
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2007
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member of Environment, Energy, and Resources Law Section and Young Lawyers Division)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Member)
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Federation of Environmental Technologists (Member)
- Environmental Law Institute (Member)
- Wisconsin Manufacturers Commerce (Member)
- Sojourner Family Peace Center (Former Courthouse Clinic Pro Bono Coordinator and Volunteer)
- The Park People of Milwaukee County (Former Board Member)
- Guardianship Pro Bono Clinic (Program Co-chair and Volunteer)
- Milwaukee Repertory Theater's Community Advisory Panel (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin – Pro Bono Honor Society (2015)