First-chair IP trial advocacy and adversary proceedings counsel
Dan Young is an intellectual property (IP) advocate and counselor working to resolve clients’ IP disputes and protect their ideas and innovations. He has advised clients on IP protection for a wide range of technologies for more than 20 years and his practice focuses on all aspects of IP law.
Dan approaches each client issue as a unique situation that requires a unique solution. Whether the circumstances require a simple negotiation or complex litigation, he works with each client to develop a resolution that best fits each client's situation.
Before joining the legal profession, Dan served as an engineer officer in the United States Army and United States Army Reserve.
Experience in Action
- Litigating IP matters, including first- and second-chair trial experience before federal courts throughout the United States, the United States International Trade Commission (ITC) and both private and international arbitration.
- Litigating patents across a range of technologies, including those covering memory systems, virtual machines, semiconductor processing, telecommunications systems and financial transactions.
- Representing clients in adversary proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), including inter partes review, patent reexaminations and patent reissues.
- Counseling clients on a varied range of IP matters, including patent prosecution and portfolio management, and IP licensing issues.
- Performing patent analyses, including the evaluation of infringement, invalidity and patentability, and the preparation of product clearance and related opinions.
- Litigated over 30 disputes before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, including 11 cases that went to final decision. Advantageous settlements were achieved on behalf of many clients.
- Represented multiple clients before the International Trade Commission through hearing as both the complainant and respondent. Advantageous settlements were achieved after completion of the hearings on behalf of the clients.
- Successfully defended client through jury trial in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware.
- Successfully represented plaintiff in a month-long patent infringement arbitration proceeding.
- Colorado Super Lawyers,® Intellectual Property, 2020-present
- Best Lawyers in America,® Intellectual Property,
- Managing Intellectual Property, IP Star
- IAM Patent 1000, The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners
Professional & Civic Activities
- Colorado Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, member
- Denver Bar Association, member
- Colorado IP American Inn of Court, founding board member, past president
News & Insights
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (J.D., with honors, 2001)
- Order of St. Ives
- United States Military Academy West Point (B.S., 1994)
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit