Trusted advisor and advocate in global trademark and copyright matters
Ian Saffer is consistently recognized as one of Colorado’s top intellectual property (IP) attorneys. Advising clients in a variety of industries – including media and entertainment, telecommunications, electronics, resorts and hospitality, financial services and others – Ian focuses on:
- Trademark and copyright counseling
- Intellectual property litigation
Ian offers clients clear advice, crafts practical solutions and treats clients the way he would like to be treated. He has first-chair trial experience in a variety of dispute resolution forums.
Ian was the managing partner of Adsero IP, which combined with Quarles in 2023.
Experience in Action
- Advising large and small businesses on worldwide trademark and copyright acquisition, clearance, use, registration and transactional matters, including internet-related matters.
- Litigating trademark, copyright and patent matters as first- and second-chair trial counsel in federal courts, state courts and various alternative dispute resolution forums.
- Serving as an expert witness in copyright and trademark matters.
- Successfully defeated preliminary injunction and temporary restraining order motions in trademark and copyright cases.
- Obtained favorable jury verdicts in trials in federal courts and state courts, and favorable rulings in final arbitration hearings, representing both plaintiffs and defendants.
- Litigated approximately 200 matters before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and federal courts across the U.S.
- Managed dozens of trademark portfolios comprising thousands of marks in hundreds of jurisdictions.
- Colorado Super Lawyers® (2006-2023)
- Chambers USA® (2013-2022: Intellectual Property)
- Best Lawyers in America® (2014-2023: Trademark Law, 2018, 2020, 2021: Denver Trademark “Lawyer of the Year”)
- Managing Intellectual Property as IPStar (2019-2023)
- World Trademark Review 1000, "The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals" (2014-2023)
- Colorado Lawyers for the Arts, “Attorney of the Year,” 2004-2005
- Denver Business Journal, “Forty under 40”, 2004
Professional & Civic Activities
- Copyright Society of the U.S.A., Executive Committee, Chapters Chair (2010-2013); Rocky Mountain Chapter Chair (2006-2009)
- International Trademark Association
- Colorado Bar Association, Intellectual Property and Entertainment & Sports Law Sections
- Denver Bar Association
- The Colorado Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
News & Insights
- Speaking Engagement
- News Release
- News Release
- News Release
- Presentation"Diversity Bootcamp on Intellectual Property, Colorado IP Inn of Court"National Gay and Lesbian Bar Association / Rocky Mountain Regional Office of the USPTO
- Presentation"What You Need To Know About Top-Level Domains"Association of Corporate Counsel, Colorado Chapter
- Presentation"Intellectual Property Issues in the Marijuana Industry"Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property Institute
- Presentation"When Do I Have An IP Problem?"Association of Corporate Counsel, Colorado Chapter
- New York University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1996)
- Columbia University in the City of New York (B.A., cum laude, 1992)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims