Diligently resolving privacy and IP issues
Kiana Baharloo advises clients with issues regarding intellectual property (IP), data privacy and health law. She is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals. She counsels clients on compliance with state and federal data privacy laws, including health care privacy laws. Kiana also works with startup clients to advise on the unique issues startups face in order to scale businesses.
Prior to joining the firm, Kiana was a legal intern for a biopharmaceutical company, where she worked on privacy matters in various areas related to pharmaceutical drugs in clinical trials.
Experience in Action
- Assists clients with GDPR, CCPA, HIPAA and other state and federal privacy issues and compliance.
- Analyzes relevance of biometric privacy laws (e.g., BIPA) and advises businesses on their biometric information collection and practices.
- Drafts, reviews and negotiates technology transactions and contracts such as DPAs, MSAs, NDAs/CDAs and SaaS agreements.
- Advises on protecting meaningful IP rights in various agreements.
- Counsels clients through security incidents and data breaches, including incident response and notifications to affected individuals and state and federal government regulators.
- Advises clients on compliance with various consumer protection laws.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Chicago Bar Association, member
- Chicago Intellectual Property Law Association (IPLAC), Co-Chair of DE&I Committee, 2022 – current
- Seattle Children's Hospital, Child Life volunteer, 2014 - 2019
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., 2022)
- Certificate in Competition and Consumer Protection Law
- Intellectual Property Law Association, Co-President
- University of Washington (B.A., 2016)