Business and finance savvy cross-border patent portfolio and litigation counsel
Lu Yin is an experienced intellectual property (IP) lawyer who helps startup companies obtain their first patents and assists large companies in improving their patent portfolios. A former patent examiner at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), in-house IP attorney and counsel at a global Am-Law 100 law firm, Lu has a deep and unique understanding of IP strategies. He focuses on:
- Patent prosecution
- Technology transactions and licensing
- IP enforcement
- IP litigation
Lu has served in leadership positions at startup companies and is familiar with securing venture capital funding, creating joint venture structures, negotiating with suppliers and customers and, of course, devising IP strategies. Using his insider knowledge of the USPTO, Lu persuades patent examiners to secure important patents for his clients. Combining his business acumen and legal expertise, he helps companies accomplish their strategic objectives in creative ways.
Admitted in California. Not Admitted in Colorado.
Experience in Action
- Advising on patent prosecution, portfolio development and commercialization primarily in the areas of telecommunications, semiconductors, circuit design, software and electronics, and artificial intelligence.
- Providing counsel to both small and large U.S. companies on cross-border IP issues, including enforcing their IP in China and negotiating favorable licensing deals.
- Representing Chinese defendants in U.S. courts.
- Represented a small Chinese company, enabling it to prevail in an International Trade Commission Section 337 investigation against a large U.S. company.
Professional & Civic Activities
- California Bar Association, member
News & Insights
- News Release
- Article"Enforcing IP Rights in the Chinese E-Commerce Marketplace"JD Supra
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 2005)
- The University of Texas at Austin (B.S., 2001)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office