Start-to-finish business law guidance for privately held companies, PE, VC
Peter Spier provides a wide range of business law counsel to privately held companies, private equity funds and venture capital investors. He helps them structure and negotiate mergers and acquisitions (M&A), debt and equity financing, and complex contractual transactions. In addition, Peter advises clients on a wide range of day-to-day operational, compliance and strategic issues, including serving as outside general counsel.
Peter is sought ought by clients for his acumen as a highly responsive advisor, his deep and broad knowledge of the law and how it affects his clients’ businesses, and his ability to guide clients during every phase of a business’ life span.
Experience in Action
- Represents clients in negotiating and structuring mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity capital raises, distribution agreements and myriad other contractual arrangements.
- Advises owners who are considering exiting their multi-generational family businesses. Peter has extensive experience guiding such owners through a sale process that can seem intimidating and overwhelming at times, helping them achieve their business and financial objectives.
- Counsels private equity firms and venture capital investors in fund formation, debt and equity investments and private offerings, as well as in the day-to-day business and legal issues that arise in operating their portfolio companies and in their eventual divestitures thereof.
- Serves as outside general counsel for middle-market and emerging growth companies, helping them on everything from addressing formation issues and preparing governing documents to structuring and negotiating joint ventures, strategic acquisitions and exits.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented registered investment advisor in $73 million asset sale to strategic buyer.
- Represented large family office in $87 million stock acquisition of leading manufacturer of open deck and material hauling trailers.
- Represented leading provider of data to sports betting industry in $26.5 million stock sale to one of world's largest gaming companies.
- Represented leading global manufacturer of industrial food processing equipment in stock acquisitions of French manufacturer and supplier of mechanical separation equipment and Dutch food processing equipment manufacturer.
- Represented privately held manufacturer of air accessories and equipment for both the professional and do-it-yourself markets in $44 million stock sale to international private equity fund.
Private Equity/Venture Capital
- Represented venture capital fund in sale of large minority interest in hospitality startup to Fortune 500 hospitality company through reverse triangular merger, generating a 5X return for the fund's limited partners.
- Represented German private equity firm in acquisition of world leader in digital textile printing.
- Law Bulletin Media "Illinois Leading Lawyer" (2017–2022: Mergers & Acquisitions, Closely & Privately Held Business Law, Gaming & Casino Law and Securities & Venture Finance Law)
- Corporate LiveWire "Excellence in Private Equity Legal Services" (2018)
- Illinois Super Lawyers® "Rising Stars" (2012, 2013: Gaming Law, Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions)
Professional & Civic Activities
- Association for Corporate Growth - Chicago Chapter (ACG)
- executive committee serving as vice-chairman in charge of membership (2020-present)
- board of directors (2015-present)
- Private Equity committee (2012-present)
- Capital Connections committee (2017-present)
- American Bar Association
- Mergers & Acquisitions committee (2009-present)
- Market Trends subcommittee (2009-present)
- International Association of Gaming Advisors (2010-present)
- Chicago Bar Association
- chair of the Business Transactions committee (2020-present)
- member (2002-present)
- Jewish Council for Youth Services (JCYS), board of directors and executive committee (2003-2006)
News & Insights
- News Release
- News Release
- News Release
- Presentation"Sports Law Society Panel on Legalizing Sports Betting"Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (Panelist)
- Presentation"Legalized Sports Betting in a Post-PASPA World - What You Need to Know"The Knowledge Group (Webinar)
- Presentation"Ahead of the Curve. A Look at Business & Legal Trends"Presentation on Blockchain
- Presentation"Retaining Management While Executing a Liquidity Event"Prairie Capital (Webinar)
- News Release
- Article"New EU Privacy Law Targets U.S. Businesses, Too"Soundbyte (Quoted in Article)
- Presentation"Sports Law Symposium"Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (Panelist)
- Presentation"The Fundamentals of Skill-Based Gaming Regulations: What You Need to Know"The Knowledge Group (Webinar)
- Article"Rumored DraftKings, FanDuel Merger Would be Uphill Battle"Law360.com (Quoted in Article)
- Presentation"Understanding the Fundamentals of Fantasy Sports Legal Framework"The Knowledge Group (Webinar)
- Presentation"Workplace Gambling: High Stakes Ethical Dilemmas"American Bar Association (Webinar)
- Presentation"Daily Fantasy Sports: Is it Legal or Illegal?"The Knowledge Group (Webinar)
- Article"Daily Fantasy Sports: A Legal Primer"Client Update
- University of Pennsylvania (B.A., cum laude)
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law (J.D.)
- Dean's List