Broad-ranging civil and commercial litigation guidance
Sydney VanBerg focuses on general civil and commercial litigation matters. As a key participant in forming the litigation strategies that lead her clients to success, she briefs and researches pretrial motions, engages in pretrial negotiation and manages all parts of discovery, including ESI. Sydney also has experience mediating both commercial and civil cases and helps clients explore the benefits of pursuing settlements in those settings. She counsels clients in a wide variety of industries and areas, including:
- Accounting and banking
- Agriculture and farming
- Technology and software development
- Manufacturing and transportation
- Professional ethics and liability
- Health care
- Won on summary judgment in favor of a manufacturer of non-alcohol beverages in a dispute concerning the termination of a distributor.
- Successfully argued and briefed motions to compel claims to arbitration based on arbitration clauses within e-scooter user scroll-wrap agreements.
- Assisted with the successful dismissal of a negligence action against an e-scooter company without leave to amend.
- Assisted with a commercial foreclosure bench trial that resulted in a total victory.
- Assisted in the successful defense of an Am Law 100 law firm against a motion to disqualify it as counsel.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Western District Bar Association (Member, Board of Governors)
News & Insights
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2018)
- Best Performances in Civil Procedure I, Torts, and Pre-trial Advocacy
- Pro Bono Society
- Served as a judicial extern for Chief U.S. District Judge James D. Peterson of the Western District of Wisconsin
- University of Texas (B.A., 2011)
- Major: Plan II Honors and English Honors
- University of Texas Cross-Examination Debate Team
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin