Comprehensive labor and employment counsel
Tory Polin counsels employers on all aspects of California employment practices and developments. She also represents public and private employers in all areas of labor and employment litigation, including:
- Wrongful termination
- Wage and hour matters, in both the single plaintiff and class action context
Tory spent nearly eight years in public service as a former prosecutor with the California Attorney General’s Office and Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office. She has extensive courtroom experience, including jury trials, court trials, motions, grand juries and administrative hearings. Tory also previously represented state licensing boards, bureaus and commissions in administrative and trial court proceedings.
Tory is a diligent and strategic litigator who enjoys finding solutions to challenging matters. She works closely with clients to develop an understanding of their businesses and tenaciously advocates for their interests.
Experience in Action
- Defending employers in litigation, arbitration and trial involving the full spectrum of employment claims.
- Representing public entities and educational institutions in disputes involving employment and other claims.
- Obtaining temporary and permanent restraining orders involving workplace violence and civil harassment.
- Successfully opposed an appeal of the denial of a writ petition challenging a student’s dismissal for misconduct on behalf of a public university.
- Obtained settlement early in litigation for national defense contractor in disability and age discrimination case brought by former employee.
- Obtained award in just cause termination arbitration for national defense contractor.
- Obtained temporary and permanent workplace violence restraining order for national defense contractor involving former employee with a firearm.
- Obtained temporary workplace violence restraining order and stipulation to no-contact for staffing company involving repeated harassment by former employee.
Professional & Civic Activities
- Lawyer’s Club of San Diego
- Judicial extern, Honorable Mitchell D. Dembin, United States District Court for the Southern District of California (2012)
- Judicial extern, Honorable Cathy A. Bencivengo,United States District Court for the Southern District of California (2013)
- United States Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of California, law clerk (2013)
- San Diego County District Attorney’s Office, intern (2013, 2014)
News & Insights
- News Release
- Article"Achieving the DREAM: Extending Immigration Reform to Administrative Case Closure"50 SAN DIEGO L. REV. 955
- University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., 2014)
- San Diego Law Review, Lead Articles Editor
- Appellate Moot Court Executive Board and National Team, member
- The Order of Barristers, member
- UCLA (B.A., 2009)
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- California State Courts