Raye Lynn Daugherty is a member of the Intellectual Property group specializing in patent prosecution and counseling. She is a trusted legal advisor to her clients, providing practical, straight-forward, cost-effective advice regarding complex legal and technical issues. Raye provides strategic value by successfully developing and implementing processes that allow for efficient management of the company's patent portfolio, while maximizing its value and avoiding infringement risks. She also has an extensive background in providing global patent strategies for multi-national manufacturers.
Raye understands the important role that commercially-valuable patent assets play in the development of an overall business strategy. Partnering with clients to gain a thorough understanding of the business and industry allows her to provide strategic counsel and cost predictability to build the company's patent portfolio.
She is known among her clients for having created dominant patent portfolios in particular industries and has provided pre-litigation strategy for enforcement of those portfolios. She has assisted clients in numerous industries, such as the water treatment industry, the motor/drive industry, the industrial automation industry, and the medical device industry.
Raye monitors competitor patents and products and counsels clients on potential infringement risks and claims. She is well-respected for her experience in drafting opinions concerning patent validity, infringement, and patentability. Her other experience includes supervising post-grant procedures and patent reexaminations, providing support for patent infringement litigation, negotiating patent licenses and technology development agreements, and performing due diligence for mergers and acquisitions.
Raye also provides training sessions for engineering and legal teams with practical advice regarding patent procedures and the America Invents Act.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Milwaukee School of Engineering (B.S., 1997)
- Major: Biomedical Engineering
- high honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2016
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2000
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (Member)
- Wisconsin Intellectual Property Lawyers Association (Member)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers®