Susan Matejcak is the Illinois chair of the firm's Real Estate Practice Group. For over three decades, she has represented institutional investors and corporate real estate clients in complex real estate transactions involving the acquisition, disposition and development of a wide range of commercial properties, including office, industrial, retail, senior housing, medical office, and mixed use assets.
Sue has significant experience in drafting and negotiating leases, on behalf of both landlords and tenants, for office, retail, and industrial properties. During the COVID-19 pandemic, she regularly advised clients on negotiating rent deferral amendments and forbearance agreements.
She has also represented corporate real estate clients in the negotiation of state and local governmental incentives agreements for the location of new facilities.
Sue’s recent experience includes:
- Sale of a 523-unit, four building portfolio of senior housing facilities in Florida on behalf of a joint venture between a major institutional investor and a senior living operator.
- Sale of a 120,000 square foot life sciences research facility in the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois on behalf of the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago.
- Sale of a 611,232 square-foot regional shopping center outside of Dallas, Texas on behalf of a major institutional investor.
- Negotiation of governmental incentives for construction of a proposed 230,000 square foot manufacturing facility on behalf of a food industry client.
- Negotiation of all leases for a newly developed 3-building industrial business park near Charlotte, North Carolina on behalf of a joint venture between a regional developer and an institutional investor.
- Real Estate
- Energy, Environment & Natural Resources
Education and Honors
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D., 1986)
- Loyola University Chicago Law Journal (Editor)
- Dean’s List (1984–1986)
- Northern Illinois University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1983)
- Dean’s List (1981–1983)
- Sigma Tau Delta, English Honor Society (Member)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Commercial Real Estate Executive Women (CREW) of Chicago, board of directors, 2012 - present, president, 2020
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL), fellow, 2021
- Illinois Bar Association, member
- Chicago Bar Association, member
- Off the Street Club through Time To Read program, reading tutor, 2013–2015
- Working in the Schools (WITS), reading tutor, October 2018-2013