Brad Jackson is a Partner and National Chair of the Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Practice Group. Brad advises regulated and nonregulated energy companies in the areas of utility rate and policy making, the regulatory and transactional aspects of generation and transmission facility siting and development, and power plant and portfolio sales and acquisitions. He focuses his practice on energy, natural resources, water rights, and property.
For three decades, Brad has served as outside regulatory counsel to WEC Energy Group, a public utility holding company headquartered in Wisconsin, with utilities in five Midwestern states. He has also advised owners of hydroelectric facilities and systems on a myriad of energy and natural resource issues. Brad also assists various energy clients with legislative research and drafting.
Brad started his legal career as a trial attorney with the Land and Natural Resources Division of the United States Department of Justice, serving in the Honors Program 1986-1988.
Education and Honors
- Kalamazoo College (B.A., with honors)
- University of Michigan Law School (J.D., with honors)
- University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform (Board Member)
- Great Lakes Natural Resource Center – National Wildlife Federation (Clinician)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- Wisconsin Bar – Energy Law Section (Past President)
- Wisconsin Lacrosse Federation (former Vice President and Board Member)
- Madison Area Lacrosse Association (former President and Board Member)
- Stoughton Lacrosse Association (former President)
- Stoughton Youth Hockey Association (former Board Member)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® Madison Energy Regulatory Law "Lawyer of the Year" (2017, 2019)
- Named Madison Communications Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2015)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 for his work in energy–renewable/alternative (2013)
- Recognized as Best Lawyers® Madison Energy “Lawyer of the Year” (2011)
- Named a BTI Client Service All-Star, an elite group of attorneys nominated solely and exclusively by clients in BTI’s independent study as delivering the absolute best in client service (2007, 2010, 2013)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the specialty of energy law for over 20 years
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated