Jon Howard is the Phoenix Office Chair for the Business Law Group. He is a strategic negotiator and legal advisor who represents a range of businesses, from local startups to Fortune 100 companies. Jon works closely with executives and legal departments to complete transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, sophisticated commercial contracts, reorganizations, and joint ventures.
He focuses on each client's needs and preferences to more efficiently complete each transaction and to effectively integrate the firm's other capabilities in areas such as real estate, health care, employment, tax, and intellectual property, to provide a full service approach. His experience includes:
Mergers and Acquisitions
Jon has an impressive history of representing buyers and sellers in complex purchases and sales of companies. Jon provides advice in the planning stage to help clients identify the best structure and approach. He then leads the acquisition team through the negotiation, documentation, and closing of the deal. Although Jon has represented companies in a wide variety of industries, he is particularly knowledgeable and experienced in the purchase and sale of pharmacies and related health care entities, as well as private equity transactions.
- Purchase of multiple specialty pharmacies and other highly regulated health care businesses;
- Purchase and sale of multiple behavioral health and telehealth organizations;
- Sale of multiple radiology practices;
- Purchase and sale of equipment, logistics, and retail companies;
- Purchase and sale of multiple technology platforms;
- Sale of emergency response technology company; and
- Purchase of auto retailer.
Business Formations, Reorganizations, and Joint Ventures
Jon regularly helps clients form new corporations and limited liability companies for the purpose creating new businesses, subsidiaries, or joint ventures. In addition to forming new entities, Jon analyzes and implements complex reorganizations involving diverse ownership structures and multiple subsidiaries. In order to complete such reorganizations, Jon will often lead a team of tax, real estate, health care, and other attorneys to consider the ramifications of various entity structures and reorganization steps.
In addition, Jon has extensive experience forming and managing joint ventures. In particular, Jon has formed and continues to provide ongoing guidance to jet fuel consortiums that operate at large airports and are jointly owned by the world’s major airlines. Jon has also negotiated several joint ventures for airport concession businesses and other industries.
- Reorganization of entities prior to IPO;
- Reorganization of subsidiaries owned by national pet product retailer; and
- Formation of jet fuel consortiums and implementation of ownership, supplier and affiliation changes for multiple consortiums.
Jon has extensive experience working with in-house legal teams at Fortune 500 companies, universities, and private companies to negotiate complex commercial contracts. He has served as the primary negotiator in many unique and high leverage transactions that were critical to his client’s supplier, distributor, or customer relationships. Such transactions generally include multilayered payment, indemnification, ownership, and service provisions.
Jon has led teams of contract attorneys that handle large volumes of contract reviews and negotiations.
- Led contract review team for national medical equipment and pharmaceutical distributor, national outdoor retailer, and international domain name registration company;
- Multiple agreements for the sale of equipment and supply of services for the operation of central fill pharmacies; and
- Acted as outside general counsel for specialty pharmacy with responsibility for all commercial contracts.
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Business Law
- Jet Fuel Consortiums
- Higher Education
- Health & Life Sciences
- Research Institutions
Education and Honors
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University (J.D., cum laude, 2008)
- William H. Pedrick Scholar
- Arizona State University – W.P. Carey School of Business (B.S., summa cum laude, 2004)
- Major: Finance
Professional and Civic Activities
- WESTMARC, executive committee, board of directors, past chairman
- Sun Health, board of directors
- Valley Leadership, former director
- Arizona Sports and Entertainment Commission, former director
- Capitol Schools Project, volunteer
- National Association of College and University Attorneys, member
- "40 under 40" by Phoenix Business Magazine, 2020
- Southwest Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars, Business/Corporate, 2018–present
- Top 50 Pro Bono Attorney, 2010