Jon Howard is a strategic negotiator and legal advisor who represents a range of businesses, from local startups to Fortune 100 companies. Jon works closely with executives and legal departments to complete transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, sophisticated commercial contracts, reorganizations, and joint ventures.
Jon focuses on each client's needs and preferences to more efficiently complete each transaction and to effectively integrate the firm's other capabilities in areas such as real estate, health care, employment, tax, and intellectual property, to provide a full service approach.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Jon has an impressive history of representing buyers and sellers in complex purchases and sales of companies. Jon provides advice in the planning stage to help clients identify the best structure and approach. He then leads the acquisition team through the negotiation, documentation, and closing of the deal. Although Jon has represented companies in a wide variety of industries, he is particularly knowledgeable and experienced in the purchase and sale of pharmacies and related health care entities.
- Purchase of multiple specialty pharmacies
- Purchase of multiple behavioral health organizations
- Sale of outdoor equipment company
- Purchase of logistics company
- Sale of bottle and container distributor
- Sale of emergency response technology company
- Purchase of auto retailer
Jon has extensive experience working with in-house legal teams at Fortune 500 companies, universities, and private companies to negotiate complex commercial contracts. He has served as the primary negotiator in many unique and high leverage transactions that were critical to his client’s supplier, distributor, or customer relationships. Such transactions generally include multilayered payment, indemnification, ownership, and service provisions.
Jon has led teams of contract attorneys that handle large volumes of contract reviews and negotiations.
- Led contract review team for national medical equipment and pharmaceutical distributor, national outdoor retailer, and international domain name registration company.
- Multiple agreements for the sale of equipment and supply of services for the operation of central fill pharmacies.
- Acted as outside general counsel for specialty pharmacy with responsibility for all commercial contracts.
- Agreement for large scale printer and cloud computing integration at large university.
Business Formations, Reorganizations, and Joint Ventures
Jon regularly helps clients form new corporations and limited liability companies for the purpose creating new businesses, subsidiaries, or joint ventures. In addition to forming new entities, Jon analyzes and implements complex reorganizations involving diverse ownership structures and multiple subsidiaries. In order to complete such reorganizations, Jon will often lead a team of tax, real estate, health care, and other attorneys to consider the ramifications of various entity structures and reorganization steps.
In addition, Jon has extensive experience forming and managing joint ventures. In particular, Jon has formed and continues to provide ongoing guidance to jet fuel consortiums that operate at large airports and are jointly owned by the world’s major airlines. Jon has also negotiated several joint ventures for airport concession businesses and other industries.
- Reorganization of subsidiaries owned by national pet product retailer.
- Formation of jet fuel consortiums and implementation of ownership, supplier and affiliation changes for multiple consortiums.
- Negotiation on behalf of joint venture partner in connection with airport spa services and newspaper stands.
Research Institutions and Higher Education
As Chair of the firm's Research Institutions and Higher Education practice group, Jon leads a team of over 50 attorneys with expertise in the specific legal issues within the Higher Education, Research Institutions and Technology Transfer sectors. In his practice, he has assisted both public and private institutions with regard to complex contract negotiations, acquisitions, reorganizations, and general governance matters.
- Business Law
- Jet Fuel Consortiums
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Direct Sales Industry
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Higher Education
- Health & Life Sciences
- Research Institutions
Education and Honors
- Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at Arizona State University (J.D., cum laude, 2008)
- William H. Pedrick Scholar
- Arizona State University – W.P. Carey School of Business (B.S., summa cum laude, 2004)
- Major: Finance
Professional and Civic Activities
- WESTMARC (Chairman Elect; Executive Committee; Board of Directors)
- Valley Leadership (Board of Directors)
- Arizona Sports and Entertainment Commission (Former Director)
- Capitol Schools Project (Volunteer)
- Selected for inclusion in Southwest Super Lawyers® – Rising Stars (2018–present: Business/Corporate)
- Top 50 Pro Bono Attorney (2010)