Kevin Rizzuto provides effective strategies for clients to protect their IP assets through the preparation and prosecution of patent applications. He uses his technical training as a computer engineer and insights gained from his work as a patent examiner in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to create smart solutions for his clients.
Kevin works with clients in diverse industries to develop patent strategies that effectively and efficiently protect new technological advances. He also counsels clients in minimizing patent infringement risks when developing new products. Kevin also assists research institutions in protecting their intellectual property for revenue-generating licenses and agreements.
Kevin is a member of the Intellectual Property group.
Electrical and computer arts experience include:
- Embedded control systems and software, including various sensing technologies for motorized devices and industrial systems
- Antenna noise mitigation and amplification circuitry for wireless telecommunication device
- LTE network base station and user equipment communication and resource utilization
- Integration of Internet of Things (IoT) wireless control and monitoring functionality with portable consumer electronic devices and software
- Brushless motor control and structural design
- Use of artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies for control of motorized devices.
- Providing a consumer product client a comprehensive patent application filing strategy for platform-wide software and user interface features to integrate Internet of Things (IoT) technology into product lines
- Counseling university technology transfer offices in patent application filing, preparation, and prosecution strategies, as well as patent license agreements
- Representing a client launching a product incorporating local device authentication for interchangeable components to reduce risks of counterfeit devices, including strategic design advice to reduce infringement risks
- Obtaining patent protection for hardware and software aspects of embedded control systems in mining, medical imaging, high-speed microscope and renewable energy industries
- Preparing and prosecuting patent applications for public safety and wireless communication technologies of a leading telecommunications client
- During his work as a patent examiner for the USPTO, Kevin focused on computer architecture and instruction processing, such as scalar, superscalar, multi-core and array processors, as well as instruction pipelines and branch prediction
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Patent Prosecution
- Research Institutions
- Technology Transfer
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2009)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.S., 2004)
- Major: Computer Engineering
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association, member
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic, volunteer
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2023