Maria Frenn Kallmeyer practices in the firm's Labor and Employment Group and specializes in advising clients on all aspects of employment-related immigration law. She counsels large and small corporations on employment strategies, corporate immigration compliance, and visa processing for foreign national employees. Prior to joining Quarles & Brady, Ms. Kallmeyer worked at two national business immigration law firms in Boston. Ms. Kallmeyer's experience includes
- Advising employers and employees regarding nonimmigrant visa status, including B, E, H, J, L, O, P, and TN categories.
- Managing the filing of PERM applications for several major corporate clients, including responding to PERM audits when necessary.
- Representing multinational managers, outstanding researchers, and individuals with extraordinary ability in the arts, sciences, or business, through the permanent residency process.
- Counseling clients on consular issues, including counseling and preparing foreign nationals for visa application interviews.
- Conducting I-9 audits and advising clients with regard to compliance and discrimination issues.
- Advising clients on a wide variety of immigration-related matters, including citizenship, marriage petitions, asylum applications, U.S. Coast Guard Letters of Determination, and the effects of criminal acts.
- Advising health care employers and physicians on J-1 waivers, H-1Bs, and the permanent residency process for physicians.
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2018)
- Suffolk University Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2008)
- International Law Certificate with distinction
- Participated in the Immigration Law Clinic
- Boston University (B.A., cum laude, 2003)
- Majors: International Relations; Hispanic Language and Literature
- Common Ground Award for Multicultural Awareness
Professional and Civic Activities
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, fellow, 2019
- International Medical Graduate Taskforce, member
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Chicago Chapter CBP Committee, member
- Chicago Bar Association, member
- American Bar Association, member
- Quarles & Brady Chicago Women's Forum
- Quarles & Brady Diversity Committee, member
- Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers®–Rising Stars Edition (2014–present: Immigration)