Patrick Murphy’s practice focuses on insurance coverage and other complex business disputes. He is the Chair of the Firm’s Insurance Coverage Team and the Milwaukee Office Chair of the Litigation & Dispute Resolution Practice Group. He has substantial experience representing policyholders in several industries, including manufacturing, financial services, energy, healthcare, construction and direct sales in connection with securing coverage under CGL, D&O, professional liability, property, cyber and other policies.
Patrick's more significant recent experience includes:
- Prosecuting manufacturer’s claims to more than $80 million in insurance limits for underlying asbestos personal injury lawsuits.
- Representing energy company in first-party coverage dispute arising out of property loss in excess of $50 million.
- Representing construction company in first-party coverage dispute arising out of explosion that caused multi-million dollar property loss.
- Representing financial institution in coverage dispute arising out of underlying consumer class actions.
- Representing direct sales company in coverage dispute arising out of underlying securities class actions.
- Prosecuting manufacturer’s claims for coverage and bad faith arising out of insurers’ refusal to defend and indemnify company against third-party environmental claims.
- Representing manufacturer as national coordinating and trial counsel in product liability suits across the country.
- Defending company involved in marketing and administration of supplemental insurance program in series of consumer class actions involving alleged violations of more than a dozen state consumer protection statutes.
- Defending manufacturer involved in consumer class actions alleging violations of NY, CA, and WI consumer protection statutes.
- Obtaining judgment following trial in favor of policyholder freight forwarder sued by its insurer in a dispute regarding applicability of substantial deductible payment.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Class Action Defense
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Data Privacy & Security
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2008)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., with distinction, 2003)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
Professional and Civic Activities
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic (Volunteer), advising low-income members of Milwaukee generally, and the Spanish-speaking community specifically, on various legal issues
- Listed in Chambers USA®, Litigation: General Commercial, 2021