Patrick Murphy is a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group. His practice focuses on insurance coverage and other complex business disputes. Patrick has substantial experience representing policyholders in several industries including manufacturing, financial services, healthcare, and direct sales in connection with securing coverage under CGL, D&O, professional liability and other policies.
Patrick’s more significant recent experiences include
- Defending company involved in marketing and administration of supplemental insurance program in series of consumer and class actions involving alleged violations of consumer protection statutes–several suits have been dismissed with prejudice on motions to dismiss.
- Prosecuting chemical manufacturing company’s claims for coverage and bad faith arising out of insurers’ refusal to defend and indemnify company against third-party environmental claim.
- Obtaining judgment following trial in favor of policyholder freight forwarder sued by its insurer in a dispute regarding applicability of substantial deductible payment.
- Managing massive, expedited fact, and expert discovery on behalf of manufacturer in coverage dispute regarding costly environmental claim that triggered decades of policies–the dispute ended in favorable settlement.
- Obtaining multiple preliminary injunctions enjoining competitor’s use of trademarks confusingly similar to medical device company’s established trademark. Starsurgical, Inc. v. Aperta, LLC, 832 F. Supp. 2d 1000 (E.D. Wis. 2011), Starsurgical Inc. v. Aperta, LLC, 10-CV-01156, 2011 WL 6122402 (E.D. Wis. Dec. 8, 2011).
- Obtaining summary judgment of invalidity on behalf of Metso Minerals, defeating competitor Astec Industries’ allegations of patent infringement. “Astec Rock Crushers Patent Claims Invalid, Judge Rules,” IP Law360, December 6, 2012.
- Prosecuting to favorable settlement Metso Minerals’ trade secret theft, patent infringement, computer hacking, and Lanham Act claims against competitor FLSmidth-Excel. “Patent Settlement Largest Reported Outcome,” Wisconsin Law Journal, January 18, 2011.
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
Education and Honors
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Certificate, Quarles & Brady Leadership Program (2016)
- University of Minnesota Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2008)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., with distinction, 2003)
- Phi Beta Kappa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2008
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2008
Professional and Civic Activities
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic (Volunteer), advising low-income members of Milwaukee generally, and the Spanish-speaking community specifically, on various legal issues