Protect and commercialize IP while avoiding competitor IP
Kevin Rizzuto provides effective strategies for clients to protect their intellectual property (IP) assets through the preparation and prosecution of patent applications. With a plethora of experience working with diverse industries and technologies, he:
- Counsels clients in minimizing patent infringement risks when developing new technologies.
- Works with clients throughout the entire patent application process, including filing, preparation, prosecution strategies and license agreements.
- Develops and manages large patent portfolios, including both domestic and international IP.
Kevin understands the complexity of patent applications and uses his technical training as a computer engineer and insights gained from his work as a patent examiner in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) to create smart solutions for his clients.
Experience in Action
- Developing complex IP portfolios for clients providing consumer products in technology spaces, including consumer electronics, hand-held motorized devices, educational software and telecommunications.
- Counseling clients to navigate crowded patent landscapes during new product development, such as for new consumer electronics and motorized devices, to minimize infringement risks.
- Advising clients with IP strategies for software-based technologies related to the Internet of Things (IoT), devices with ad-hoc networking, medical imaging, and artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning-based functionality.
- Obtaining IP assets for clients producing heavy mining equipment with new technologies related to safety features, component life-extension and predictive maintenance to avoid costly downtime.
- Protecting IP for academic research institutions and startup clients with an eye for licensing and monetizing early-stage technology.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications for public safety and wireless communication technologies of a leading telecommunications client.
- Obtained patent protection for hardware and software aspects of embedded control systems in mining, medical imaging, high-speed microscope and renewable energy industries.
- Provided a consumer product client with a comprehensive patent application filing strategy for platform-wide software and user interface features to integrate IoT technology into product lines.
- Represented a client launching a product incorporating local device authentication for interchangeable components to reduce risks of counterfeit devices, including strategic design advice to reduce infringement risks.
- Counseled university technology transfer office in patent application filing, preparation and prosecution strategies, as well as patent license agreements.
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association, member
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinic, volunteer
News & Insights
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2009)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.S., 2004)
- Major: Computer Engineering
- United States Patent and Trademark Office