Experienced litigation and appellate guidance
Nate Oesch focuses on appellate, complex civil and intellectual property litigation matters. He works with a wide spectrum of companies to address their litigation needs, with an emphasis on proceedings before federal courts. Nate also guides clients on a variety of intellectual property issues related to copyrights, patents and trademarks. Finally, he helps startups navigate legal issues as they begin to grow and develop.
As a former Eastern District of Wisconsin law clerk, Nate has experience with an array of legal issues and uses his knowledge of the district to serve as local counsel for out-of-state firms in proceedings within the district.
Nate is involved in the firm’s pro bono efforts, taking on both Wisconsin public defender appointments at the appellate level and requests for counsel in § 1983 prisoner litigation cases in the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
- Successfully defended against a preliminary injunction seeking to enjoin allegedly false advertising related to capabilities of a client’s product.
- Obtained dismissal of class action brought against bank related to charging of insufficient fund fees early in litigation.
- Moved to dismiss antitrust and additional claims against a client who operates in the Milwaukee area and obtained an affirmance of the decision at the Seventh Circuit.
- Obtained dismissal at summary judgment of claims against client in maritime personal injury case.
- Ruth La Fave Trailblazer Award (Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association 2019)
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Bar Association, member
- Seventh Circuit Bar Association, member
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association, member
- membership committee
- pro bono recruitment committee
- Law clerk, Honorable William C. Griesbach, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin (2018-19)
- Judicial Intern, Honorable Diane S. Sykes, Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals (Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 2017)
- Judicial Intern, Honorable Charles N. Clevert, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin (2016)
News & Insights
- Media Mention
- Article"Attitudes Toward Seat Belt Use and In-Vehicle Technologies for Encouraging Belt Use"Traffic Injury Prevention 15(1):10-7
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2018)
- Marquette Law Review (Comment Editor)
- CALI Awards (highest grade) in Appellate Writing & Advocacy, Evidence, Federal Courts, International Law, and Tort Theory
- Jenkins Moot Court Honors Competition, Winner & Best Brief
- Marquette Law School Pro Bono Honors Society
- St. John's College (B.A., 2009)
- Majors: Philosophy, History of Mathematics & Science
- Minors: Classical Studies, Comparative Literature
- Member, National Collegiate Croquet Championship Team 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit