Trusted health care advisor providing business-aware advice
Theresa DeAngelis provides compliance guidance, fraud and abuse counseling, and representation in connection with government investigations, enforcement actions and litigation. She applies her depth of experience to a wide range of health care clients, including:
- Pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers
- Pharmacy benefit managers
- Retail, specialty, long-term care and other "closed door" pharmacies
- Wholesale distributors of drugs and medical devices
- Clinical laboratories
Theresa assists her clients in navigating compliance with the Controlled Substances Act and Medicare, Medicaid and state law requirements. She counsels on fraud and abuse issues, including matters arising under the False Claims Act (FCA), the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Stark Law, the Eliminating Kickbacks in Recovery Act (EKRA), and federal and state health care reimbursement.
Before joining Quarles, Theresa represented qui tam relators in litigation under the FCA in health care fraud and retaliation matters, and whistleblowers alleging violations of the federal securities laws, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, under the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's whistleblower program.
Theresa leverages this experience in government investigations and FCA litigation to provide holistic counseling to clients at every stage of an enforcement action.
Experience in Action
- Provides regulatory compliance counseling to clients across the drug supply chain related to operations and permitting/licensure.
- Provides fraud and abuse compliance counseling on a variety of issues, including hospital and physician ambulatory surgical center joint ventures, manufacturer grant programs, patient assistance programs and rebate arrangements.
- Represents clients in government investigations, including DOJ, HHS OIG, CMS and state attorney general investigations.
- Defends health care facilities and licensed health care professionals against regulatory and licensing board investigations and complaints.
Professional & Civic Activities
- The American Health Law Association, member
- The American College of Healthcare Executives, member
News & Insights
- PresentationRhode Island: Summary of Fraud and Abuse Statutes and RegulationsAmerican Health Law Association
- Presentation"Arizona Law Update 2021-2022"Arizona Pharmacy Association Spring Clinical Conference
- Pennsylvania State University (M.H.A., 2018)
- Pennsylvania State University, The Dickinson School of Law (J.D., 2018)
- Pennsylvania State University (B.S., 2014)
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania