Sarah Ames specializes in representing multinational companies, primarily German-speaking, and their U.S. subsidiaries with regard to corporate, commercial, employment, and immigration matters. She is a bi-lingual member of Chicago's Business Law Group and represents clients in all industries and of all sizes. They range from manufacturing, construction, technology, software, food and beverage, and more. She works as an outside general counsel, dealing with day to day corporate issues, including qualifications, restructuring and corporate maintenance, general contract questions, employment matters, and visa and immigration issues. Sarah is very service oriented, creating relationships that grow over decades. These long term client relationships allow Sarah to watch the companies grow year after year and make her a very informed advisor. Sarah's experience allows her to make connections within the company, and understand any and all implications that may occur in the U.S. or internationally.
- Advising companies on incorporating, restructuring, or merging legal entities, and corporate governance.
- Preparing and counseling on various agreements, including licensing agreements, terms and conditions of sale, lease agreements, and sales and distribution agreements.
- Advising companies on employment matters such as employment agreements, handbooks, disciplinary actions, and terminations.
- Counseling companies on transferring and hiring foreign nationals, filing business visa applications and advising on general immigration matters.
- Business Law
- Labor & Employment
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- International Services
Education and Honors
- University of Alabama School of Law (J.D., 1997)
- University of Alabama (M.A., 1994)
- Degree: German Literature
- University of Hamburg School of Law (Intermediate Examination, 1992)
- Major: European Community Law
Professional and Civic Activities
- Australian New Zealand American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest (Member; Director, May 2018 - Present)
- Heidelberg Club International (Member; Chair: 2015 - Present)
- German-American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest (Member)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (Member)
- Chicago Bar Association (Member)
- Alabama State Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Seven Continents Marathon Club and North Pole Grand Slam Marathon Club (Member)
- Intercontinental Marathon Club (Member, requires running 7 marathons on 7 continents in 7 days)
- Board of Hamlin Fistula USA (Member, Chair: 2017)
- Board of the International Fistula Alliance (Member, Chair: 2017)