Shamika Mazyck is a health care attorney who offers a unique combination of practical experience in occupational health/industrial hygiene in the acute hospital setting and legal experience advising pharmacies, long-term care facilities, and acute hospitals with regulation and accreditation issues. She provides counsel on a variety of various compliance matters, such as Hospital Emergency Preparedness programs and compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations (i.e., Respiratory Protection, Safe Patient Mobilization, Bloodborne Pathogens/Infectious Diseases, Hazard Communication, etc.).
Prior to attending law school, Shamika was an Industrial Hygienist specializing in environmental consulting, in the manufacturing and commercial environment. She then transitioned to working in an acute hospital setting managing occupational health and safety programs focused on meeting OSHA and the Joint Commission (JCAHO) compliance requirements. She also served as a senior environmental scientist for a consulting business, overseeing field investigations, conducting employee exposure monitoring, and providing employee training in the areas of confined space entry programs, asbestos and lead abatement, SCBA training, and carbon monoxide awareness training.
Shamika is adept at leading multi-disciplinary groups of people, building relationships, and developing comprehensive health and safety programs incorporating risk analysis, process improvement and change management.
Education and Honors
- Indiana University – Robert H. McKinney School of Law (J.D., 2018)
- Health Law Review
- The Evening Student Union (Secretary; Treasurer)
- Wayne State University (M.S., 2004)
- Occupational Health and Environmental Science
- Hope College (B.A., 2001)
- Major: Biology
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Indiana State Bar Association (Member)
- Indianapolis Bar Association (Member)
- American Health Lawyers Association (Member)
- College Mentors for Kids (Vice Chair, Board of Directors)
- National Bar Association (Secretary, Health Law Section)
- Indiana Youth Group (Board Member)