Bill Toman's practice includes significant experience in the area of insurance regulation and administrative law. He has represented clients before the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance and insurance regulators nationwide. His experience in this area includes:
- Insurance company formation, capitalization, and licensing, including Wisconsin's leading medical malpractice writer and two of its newest HMOs.
- Insurance company acquisitions and mergers, including due diligence, negotiation, and regulatory approvals. Projects include creation of an alliance of four associations for acquisition of a life insurer, and dozens of Form A filings and Form E investigations.
- Liquidation, rehabilitation, and guaranty fund operations, including representation of the Wisconsin Commissioner of Insurance in a 15-year insurance group workout.
- Holding company regulation, including dozens of Form B, C, D, and dividend filings.
- Reinsurance transactions, including drafting issues, qualifying reinsurance, arbitration, and letters of credit and other security.
- Regulatory relations, including audits and examinations, rate and form filings, administrative lobbying, and enforcement actions.
- Special issues facing managed care organizations and other health care plans, including product filing and approval, reform initiatives, business plan filings, provider contracts, coverage mandates, ERISA, and COBRA.
- Business Law
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Financial Institutions Litigation
Education and Honors
- University of Wisconsin Law School (J.D., 1982)
- Order of the Coif
- Wisconsin Law Review (Research and Writing Editor)
- Dartmouth College (B.A., 1978)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Chief Judge Barbara B. Crabb, U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin (Law Clerk, 1982-1983)
- Dane County Bar Association (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- State Bar of Wisconsin (Chair, Insurance Law Committee, 1990-2006)
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel (Member)
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association (Member)
- State Capital Group (Chair, Insurance Law Section, 1992-1993)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rated
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® (2009-present: Insurance Law)
- "Supreme Court weighs Affordable Care Act," BizTimes, March 26, 2012
- Panelist, "CO-OP Governance," National Alliance of State Healthcare CO-OPs (NASHCO) Conference, Washington, D.C., March 9, 2012
- Speaker, "Elements of Building Infrastructure: Legal and Regulatory," Milliman CO-OP Client Conference, Washington, D.C., March 8, 2012
- "The CO-OP Program Under the Affordable Care Act: Insurance Regulation Issues," 23 FORC Journal, Spring 2012
- "The Federal Insurance Office," 22 FORC Journal, Summer 2011
- "Defining Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity," 21 FORC Journal, Summer 2010
- "It's time to get up to speed on new health care reforms," Capital Region Business Journal, May 2010
- "Health Care Liability Insurance for Employed Health Care Practitioners," News & Profiles, HFMA Wisconsin, March/April 2008