Charlie Cousland is a member of the firm's Real Estate Practice Group. He focuses his practice on real estate transactions and leasing, real estate development and construction and land use disputes. In addition to his real estate practice, Charlie advises corporate, institutional and financial clients in mergers and acquisitions, commercial lending (both asset-based and mezzanine financing), joint ventures, capital formation, shareholder/partner disputes and corporate governance.
He is a co-author of A Guide for Wisconsin Nonprofit Organizations, Second Edition, published by the State Bar of Wisconsin.
Charlie has strong ties in both Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties. He previously served on the Board of Directors for Notre Dame Middle School, having served in the past as Chairman of the Board for the school. Charlie has also served on the Executive Board for the Potawatomi Area Council Boy Scouts of America, and as the President, Vice President and a Board Member for the Sharon Lynne Wilson Center for the Arts.
His relevant experience includes:
- Negotiation of leases for build-to-suit industrial warehouse and distribution centers throughout the United States.
- Site-selection, planning, development and leasing of industrial warehouse and distribution centers in foreign jurisdictions.
- Acquisition and conversion of failed 14-story residential hotel development in a downtown setting, and conversion of the same building into a mixed-use development with 13-story university housing and a first floor retail center.
- Site-acquisition, construction, and leasing of single-retailer stores, including negotiation of capital leases involving real estate investment trusts (REITs) who may be participating as equity investors.
- Site-acquisition and construction of a regional hospital and medical office building.
- Sale-leaseback transaction for a regional arts center.
- Site-acquisition, construction, management, and financing of hospitality properties.
- Real Estate
Education and Honors
- Marquette University Law School (J.D., 1993)
- University of Michigan (B.A., 1990)
Professional and Civic Activities
- Milwaukee Bar Association (Member)
- Waukesha County Bar Association (Member)
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America (Real Estate Law)
- BTI Consulting Group “Client Service All-Star," 2022