Edward Rickert is a member of the firm's Health Law Practice Group. As a pharmacist and attorney, Mr. Rickert has used his background and experience to represent pharmacies, pharmacists, physicians, long term care providers, and other health care providers in a variety of matters, including professional negligence, licensure, regulatory, and business issues in courts and before state and federal administrative agencies across the country. In addition to his representation of health care providers, Mr. Rickert has represented drug and medical device manufacturers in both civil and regulatory matters, and insurance companies in a variety of insurance defense and coverage matters, at both the trial and appellate court level.
- Lead counsel in trial court and Illinois Appellate Court case involving the federal Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005 (PSQIA). Obtained dismissal of state’s petition to enforce subpoenas seeking incident reports of medication errors involving several pharmacists, by successfully arguing that the reports were privileged patient-safety work product transmitted to a component Patient Safety Organization (PSO) and were therefore fully protected and privileged under federal law. Affirmed on appeal. Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation v. Walgreen Co., 2012 IL App (2d) 110452, 970 N.E.2d 552 (Ill. App. Ct. 2d Dist. 2012).
- Serves as national counsel for several pharmacies, health care technology companies, and drug and medical device manufacturing and wholesaling companies, providing advice, counsel, and representation before state and federal regulatory agencies, including the FDA and DEA.
- Assisted specialty pharmacy with the development of a compliance program focusing on FWA, HIPAA, and state regulatory issues.
- Assisted clients in developing compliance strategies, including review and analysis of laws and regulations in all 50 states, in areas that include, among others, licensing issues, change of ownership transactions, drug product selection, Medicaid reimbursement, electronic prescribing, state privacy laws, telepharmacy and related technology issues, and remote prescription processing and dispensing.
- Successfully defended pharmacies and pharmacists, in pharmacy malpractice cases, including cases involving allegations of failure to warn or monitor drug therapy and prescription misfill cases.
- Represented numerous pharmacies, pharmacists and other health care practitioners in licensure actions before professional boards across the country, including Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and other states.
- Defended Medicare and Medicaid recoupment and termination matters.
- Health & Life Sciences
- Health Litigation
Education and Honors
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (J.D., with honors, 1988)
- University of Iowa (B.S., 1983)
- Major: Pharmacy
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
- Legal Task Force / Clinical Labs, Pharmacy and Payer Workgroup, Illinois Office of Health Information Technology (Co-Chair)
- Illinois Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Pharmacists Association
- Illinois Council of Health Systems Pharmacists (Director of Governmental Affairs)
- Illinois Pharmacists Association
- American Society for Pharmacy Law
- Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy
- Infant Welfare Society of Chicago (Board Member)
- American Society for Pharmacy Law (Past President, Past Member of Board of Directors)
- American Society for Pharmacy Law (President’s Award, 2004)
- UIC College of Pharmacy, Outstanding Teacher of the Year (Class of 2000 & 2001)
- Recipient of James Hartley Beal Award for Outstanding Paper in Pharmacy Law (1997)