Eric Johnson is the Phoenix Office Labor & Employment Chair whose practice has an emphasis on employment law counseling and litigation in Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico state and federal courts.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Eric has been a trusted advisor for clients navigating the impacts of COVID-19 on their business operations and employees. He has provided guidance on remote workforce policies, procedures and training; employee safety; reductions in force, furloughs, layoffs; family and medical leave due to coronavirus or childcare interruptions; ADA accommodations; return to work issues, including temperature testing, salary reductions, social distancing in the workplace, and preventing discrimination and harassment related to COVID-19; among many other challenges.
His recent experience includes:
- Representing national and local employers in litigation in federal and state court, involving the enforcement of restrictive covenants and trade secret protections.
- Defense of various claims of employee discrimination and/or retaliation, including lawsuits based upon Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and other federal and state statutes.
- Defending employers in departmental, administrative, or judicial proceedings involving wage/overtime claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Planning for and defending reductions-in-force and business reorganization (including individual and statistical analysis).
- Advising clients on issues such as employee termination, discipline, harassment, investigations, and compliance with various federal and state labor and employment laws.
- Labor & Employment
- Banking & Financial Institutions
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Financial Institutions Litigation
- Trade Secrets
Education and Honors
- Indiana University–Maurer School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- University of Arizona (B.A., 1996)
- New Mexico
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 2005
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico, 2005
- U.S. District Court, District of Nevada, 2005
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, 2000
Professional and Civic Activities
- State Bar of Arizona (Member)
- State Bar of Nevada (Member)
- State Bar of New Mexico (Member)
- American Bar Association (Member)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (Member)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2015-present® (Employment Law - Management)