James J. Aquilina is a member of the Intellectual Property practice group. He has extensive practice experience in all aspects of U.S. intellectual property law and regularly counsels clients in the areas of utility and design patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secret law, with emphases on rights procurement, portfolio development and management, rights enforcement, and licensing.
James provides legal advice and business counsel to industry-leading and emerging companies in a wide variety of industries, encompassing nearly every technological field. In addition to his experience counseling companies on how to best protect their products and services under U.S. law, James also has extensive knowledge of the international treaties that govern various forms of intellectual property and the national intellectual property laws of many foreign jurisdictions. His international perspective allows him to put clients in optimal situations to protect their inventions, designs, marks, and creative works on a global scale.
James is widely recognized in the field of U.S. design law, which regards the intersection of design patents, trade dress, and copyrights in useful articles, and serves as Editor-in-Chief of Quarles & Brady’s Protecting the Product design rights blog. He is a past Chair of the Industrial Designs Committee of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), an invited member of the Designs Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA), and a frequent presenter, instructor, and academic contributor on design rights topics. He has been quoted in national publications on major design rights issues, including the Apple v. Samsung legal battle, and has authored amicus briefs in high-profile, design-related litigation matters, including most recently on behalf of the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA) in the Converse v. International Trade Commission case that reached the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
Early in his career, James was a Federal Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable A. Richard Caputo, United States District Judge, United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania.
Admitted in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
- Intellectual Property Strategic Counseling
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Litigation
- Trademarks & Copyrights
- Trademark Litigation
- Trade Secrets and Unfair Competition
- Trade Secrets
- Inter Partes Review Proceedings
- Design Patents
Education and Honors
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (J.D., 2005)
- Rutgers University (B.S., cum laude, 2002)
- Major: Biomedical Engineering
- New Jersey
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
Professional and Civic Activities
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Industrial Designs Committee (Chair, 2018-2020; Vice Chair, 2016-2018; Voting Member, 2009-present)
- Biotechnology Committee (Voting Member, 2009-present)
- Design Rights Boot Camp (Session Coordinator & Presenter, 2018-2020; Vice Chair, 2020)
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Standing Committee on Trade Secrets (Member, 2018-present)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Designs Committee (Member, 2020-2021 term)