Matthew Splitek is a partner in the Commercial Litigation Group. He has handled lawsuits spanning a variety of subjects and forums, but focuses his practice on corporate governance disputes, class actions, and professional liability matters. Matthew’s experience includes:
- Winning a victory at trial that dismissed a shareholder suit seeking to dissolve a corporation.
- Successfully defending against multiple shareholder class actions seeking to enjoin mergers or acquisitions of publicly traded companies.
- Representing a special litigation committee tasked with investigating claims that a company’s chairman and CEO had breached their fiduciary duties to a minority shareholder.
- Winning a summary judgment that dismissed claims brought against a transportation company by its former CEO, then successfully defending that judgment on appeal.
- Representing lawyers and law firms in professional liability suits.
- Securities Litigation
- Class Action Defense
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Professional Liability
Education and Honors
- Yale Law School (J.D., 2007)
- University of Wisconsin - Madison (B.A., 1999)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
Professional and Civic Activities
- Law Clerk to Chief Justice Shirley S. Abrahamson, Wisconsin Supreme Court (2007–2009)
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers® - Rising Stars Edition 2019 (Appellate)